This is the only tomb in the Kuwaq Yaku region. Upon entering the tomb, you'll notice an unbreakable barrier unless you have the rope ascender. You do not need to worry about this as this section isn't needed to complete the tomb.
How to complete the Howling Caves Challenge Tomb
The following steps will guide you through the aforementioned Challenge Tomb in Shadow of the Tomb Raider.
- Go toward the path left of the unbreakable barrier.
- Jump down into the water below, swimming to the ground ahead.
- You'll enter a dark cave and immediately see a large pit with spears strewn across the bottom and sides. Do not try to jump this. You cannot.
Instead, climb the ledge to your left to make your way around the spears.
Making your way down the path, you'll come to an area where Lara begins to slide down a muddy slope.
- Near the end of your slide, jump onto the rock wall and snag it with your pickaxe at the appropriate time to avoid falling to your death.
- Rappel down and swing to the platform in front of you.
- Leap onto the ledge on the wall ahead of you.
- Make your way to the right toward a rock wall, then rappel down.
- At this point, you'll crawl through a small tunnel near the ground.
- When you try to leap across the jump and grab the next ledge, the ledge will snap away.
After you fall, you'll need to fight a few animals attempting to kill you.
Make your way to the side of the room where fires are burning.
- Connect a rope with your bow and climb to the other side of the fires.
- Follow the path to your right past a base camp and into a wind chamber with a fallen tree.
Ignore the tree for now and go toward the wall it leads to and hop up to grab the ledge. Attempting to walk over the tree now will only cause the wind to knock Lara down.
Upon entering the main puzzle chamber, you'll see two suspended "chandeliers" and fire blocking your center path.
- Use the turning mechanism on the right side of the room to open up shutters and allow strong winds to move the first chandelier.
- Time it so that when the wind dies down, you jump onto the chandelier before it moves to the other side once the wind picks up again.
- Once you're close enough to the left side of the room, jump onto the ledge.
- Use the next turning mechanism to open up the next set of shutters to extinguish the first fire blocking your center path.
Make your way back to the center and past where the fire previously was, then follow the path to your right.
Shoot the swinging chandelier with your arrow and it in such a way that it smashes the next chandelier on the ground to its right, unblocking more of the center path.
- Go back and close the shutters on the left side of the room so that you can now walk across without being blown down by the wind.
- Jump to your left where there will be third and final turning mechanism, but don't turn it just yet.
- Instead, jump up the wall to the right next to it and climb across the chandelier attached to the wall.
- Once there, attach a rope between that chandelier and the middle one.
- Then go back and open up the middle shutters.
- After the last chandelier breaks away from the force of the wind, close them again.
- Now go back to the third turning mechanism and open the third set of shutters, blowing away the last of the fire in your path.
At this point, you'll have reached the end of the tomb where you will unlock the Huracan's Mantle skill, which reduces damage from fire and explosions.
Remember to check out our thoughts of the game in our review (spoiler free, of course) and why we consider it to be "Lara Croft's best adventure yet."
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.