What you need to know
- Microsoft Edge has a new update available that brings the browser to version 106.
- Edge 106 has a rewritten Microsoft Defender SmartScreen library that makes it more secure.
- The address bar of Edge can now show two work results, up from the previous limit of two.
Microsoft just released an update for Edge that brings the browser to version 106. The update improves security, thanks to a rewritten Microsoft Defender SmartScreen library. It also increases the maximum number of work results that can appear in the address bar from two to four. Microsoft outlines the feature updates as well as the browser's policy changes in a recent post.
- More reliable web defense. Browse the web with more reliable protection thanks to the rewritten Microsoft Defender SmartScreen library for Microsoft Edge on Windows, which was introduced in Microsoft Edge version 103. The NewSmartScreenLibraryEnabled policy is now deprecated in Microsoft Edge version 106 and will be obsolete in Microsoft Edge version 107.
- Increased Work Results in the Microsoft Edge address bar. We’ve increased the maximum number of work results that display in the address bar from 2 to 4, which offers greater visibility into the work content available to you as you search. This feature requires the AddressBarMicrosoftSearchInBingProviderEnabled policy enabled to work.
- EfficiencyModeEnabled - Efficiency mode enabled
- EfficiencyModeOnPowerEnabled - Enable efficiency mode when the device is connected to a power source
- InternetExplorerIntegrationAlwaysUseOSCapture - Always use the OS capture engine to avoid issues with capturing Internet Explorer mode tabs
- NewSmartScreenLibraryEnabled - Enable new SmartScreen library
- ShadowStackCrashRollbackBehavior - Configure ShadowStack crash rollback behavior
- OutlookHubMenuEnabled - Allow users to access the Outlook menu
- EdgeDiscoverEnabled - Discover feature In Microsoft Edge
The security updates included with the latest version of Edge are broken down in a separate post by Microsoft.
Edge version 106.0.1370.34 is now rolling out to the Stable Channel. Edge updates ship progressively, so you may not see the option to upgrade right away.
Get the Windows Central Newsletter
All the latest news, reviews, and guides for Windows and Xbox diehards.
Sean Endicott brings nearly a decade of experience covering Microsoft and Windows news to Windows Central. He joined our team in 2017 as an app reviewer and now heads up our day-to-day news coverage. If you have a news tip or an app to review, hit him up at email@example.com.