I wasn’t too thrilled with last week’s Xbox Red Stripe Deal, but this week’s sale title is a much more solid game. Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode I is on sale for $1.99, down from $4.99. This marks the fourth time it’s been on sale, but the last time was back in November so a lot of Windows Phone newcomers probably missed it.
The non-Xbox Red Stripe Deals are pretty good too. The hidden object game Flux Family Secrets from Big Fish Games is on sale for 99 cents. If you like the genre, consider it a must-buy. And JDB Pocketware’s calendar/productivity app AppoinTile is 99 cents as well. Details and Store links after the break!
Sonic 4: Episode I (Windows Phone 7 and 8)
Regular price: $4.99 Sale price: $1.99 Download size: 105 MB Store Link
While the phenomenal Sonic CD is undoubtedly the better of the two Sonic games on Windows Phone, Sonic 4 is still a pretty good platformer in its own right. It plays much like the classic 2D Genesis games, except that this Sonic also has the modern homing attack to make killing enemies and crossing gaps easier. See our full review for lots more gameplay details.
Platformers are generally a bit tough to play on mobile devices because they lack physical buttons, but Sonic 4 actually plays really well. It only uses a single action button, reducing the likelihood of your thumb slipping to the wrong position.
The bittersweet thing about this game is the Episode I in the title. Consoles and other mobile platforms got an Episode II that’s even better than the first game. Sega announced Episode II for Windows Phone nearly two years ago. At this point, it seems to have been quietly cancelled.
Flux Family Secrets (Windows Phone 8)
Regular price: $1.99 Sale price: $.99 Download size: 93 MB Store Link
Big Fish’s first Windows Phone release Fairway Solitaire is an awesome puzzle/card game. But the publisher is best known for its hidden object games on PC. Flux Family: the Ripple Effect is one of those games, filled with both object finding and puzzles. If you enjoy Artifex Mundi’s games, you’ll definitely want to try this one too.
Flux Family features:
- Travel back and forth through time to search for items and clues.
- 10 Chapters, over 20 mini games, and multiple interactive scenes.
- Get help! Optional tutorial and hints with auto recharge.
- Visual object list.
- Collectible inventory and toolkit objects.
AppoinTile (Windows Phone 8)
Regular price: $1.99 Sale price: $.99 Download size: 1 MB Store Link
This handy app generates Live tiles from your phone’s calendar appointments.
- Live tiles showing up to 4 upcoming appointments
- 42-day dynamic calendar with markers on days having activity
- Up to 3 upcoming appointments on your lockscreen
- Summary count of the appointments you have today
- Automatic syncing with your phone calendar
- Customizable layout both for front and back of tiles
- Appointments filtering/hiding
- Can map specific actions to each Live Tile clicking
- Meeting assistant centralizes all the meeting related information to be at your hand during your meeting time
- Time bar shows the meeting duration and progress
- Can add extra reminders for either before, during or after a meeting
- Can send custom 'arriving late' messages to all or to just the organizer, and opt to send by SMS as well
- Email any attendee by just a tap
- Get map directions or dial numbers directly depending on the meeting location
- Copy any meeting field to the clipboard
- And more...!
Thanks to Marcel for the tip!
Watch Surface Duo get ripped apart, all to get at its hinge
We've seen the Surface Duo delicately torn down by iFixit, but now it's time for a much messier teardown. YouTuber JerryRigEverything has ripped into Duo to get at its hinge, and it turns out it's a surprisingly simple setup.
Power or agility? We compare Dell's XPS 15 with LG's gram 15.
These two laptops might share a similar footprint, but they're intended for two very different types of user. We break things down to help you get a clear idea of which PC is the better buy for your needs.
Windows x64 app emulation heads to Snapdragon PCs this November
It's official: Windows 10 on ARM laptops are getting x64 app emulation sometime in November (though the Windows Insider program). Microsoft Teams natively optimized for ARM is also coming soon. The news follows Qualcomm's recent announcement of its new Snapdragon 8cx Gen 2 processor and new devices coming this year.
Finding Xbox One Wireless Controller replacement parts is easy
Here are all the replacement Xbox One controller parts you need for an easy fix.