What you need to know
- A recent cumulative update for the Windows 10 May 2019 Update has broken Bluetooth audio for some users.
- Microsoft recently published a support document confirming the issue with update KB4505903.
- A workaround is available if you've experienced this issue.
If you've noticed that you can't connect Bluetooth speakers or headphones to your PC since installing a cumulative update for the Windows 10 May 2019 Update in July, you're not alone. Microsoft recently published a support document (via Windows Latest) that confirms an issue playing audio over Bluetooth after installing cumulative update KB4505903, which was released in July. The bug appears to affect PCs that have their own internal speakers.
THere are a few ways in which you might experience this bug. Here's how Microsoft describes the issue:
- A Bluetooth speaker can't connect to the computer.
- A Bluetooth speaker can connect to the computer. However, the speaker output sounds noisy (bad quality).
- A Bluetooth speaker can connect to the computer. However, the sound is generated by the internal speaker instead of the Bluetooth device.
Fortunately, there is a workaround available. If your PC is impacted, you can use the System File Checker (SFC) tool to repair missing and corrupted system files. From Microsoft:
- Open the command console by using administrative authority.
- At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press Enter:
- sfc /scannow
- After the process is finished, restart the computer.
Microsoft has since released a Patch Tuesday update for the month of August, but it's unclear if that cumulative update corrects the issue. If you're still running a Windows 10 May 2019 Update on KB4505903 (build 18362.267), you can use the above workaround to get Bluetooth audio working correctly again.
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.
Minecraft Dungeons lead talks its next DLC and the future endgame
We talk Minecraft Dungeons’ recent Jungle Awakens DLC, the Creeping Winter expansion, and future endgame plans with game director, Måns Olson.
Fix up your Xbox Elite Controller with these parts
Need some replacement parts for your Xbox One Elite Controller? From new paddles, grips, bumpers, thumbsticks, and more, we have you covered.
Hands-on with Windows 10 build 20161 showcasing the new Start menu
Yesterday, Microsoft released a new build of Windows 10 that includes an updated Start menu design with translucent Live Tiles, improvements to Notifications, and behavior changes to things like Tablet Mode and the Taskbar. It's been a while since Microsoft released a build with any surface-level changes, but now it's finally happened, we're back showcasing all the changes on video.
10 must-have apps for any new PC
You just purchased a new PC and set it up, and now you're looking for some great apps. Look no further. These are the best apps for your new Windows 10 PC.