Warframe: Echoes of the Sentient update impressions
Warframe is one of the best free to play Xbox One games around. Players team up as Warframes, super-powered armored ninjas, and take on co-op missions across the galaxy. With quality third-person shooting and melee combat and plenty of co-op missions to complete, Warframe is a great value for both free and paying players.
Today Warframe received a massive update called 'Echoes of the Sentient.' The 2.6 GB update brings a new playable character, revamped movement and parkour, a new level and boss, tons of items, and much more. If that's not enough to get you playing, we also have 50 codes to give away to our excellent readers. Don't miss our update impressions with video, plus giveaway details!
Echoes of the Sentient
The 'Echoes of the Sentient' update adds a ton of new free content for Warframe players:
- NEW WARFRAME: Split between day and night, Equinox manifests aggressive and defensive forms at will.
- PLAYER MOVEMENT OVERHAUL: Experience a complete overhaul to movement in the game. Changes include the addition of Double Jump, Bullet Jump, Wall Latch, Wall Dash and Aim Gliding.
- ARCHWING SUBMERSIBLE: Explore new depths in the oceans of Uranus, smoothly transitioning from on-foot to submersible Archwing mode! Encounter new and deadly Grineer enemies in unique environments and enjoy various game modes including Defense, Survival, Capture, Rescue, Mobile Defense, Exterminate, and Sabotage!
- NEW BOSS BATTLE: Tyl Regor is back and is stronger than ever. Assassinate this skilled threat amidst the oceans of Titania, Uranus!
- NEW QUEST: Is the strange drone scanning Tenno just an upgraded piece of Corpus technology or are there more sinister things stirring in the Origin System?
- NEW TILESET: Delve into the depths of the Grineer Ocean with a new underwater Tileset.
- NEW UTILITY MOD SLOT: Prepping your Mod Build just got easier! The new Exilus Utility Slot frees up space by offering a place for a Utility Mod.
- And more! See the full list at Warframe.com.
Bonus codes giveaway [Ended]
This week only, we're giving away 50 Booster codes for Warframe on Xbox One or PC! This new-and-improved code provides two significant benefits:
- 7 day Resource booster: Doubles the amount of resources earned from pickups.
- 7 day Affinity pack: Doubles the rate at which you earn affinity. Upgrade your weapons and Warframes faster. Affinity Boosters also increase Syndicate Standing gain.
To win a 7-day Booster code, all you have to do is tell us:
- Your favorite location to visit in Warframe (planet, moon, etc.)
- Your Xbox Live Gamertag
We'll give out the codes via Xbox message, so be sure to watch your messages on Xbox One or the Windows 10 Xbox app to get your code. These codes don't expire, so you can redeem them later if you want. Giveaway starts now and ends Saturday, September 5 – while code supplies last.
If you win a code, you'll redeem it at Warframe.com, not Xbox.com. To redeem:
- Visit Warframe.com
- Log in to your console or PC Warframe account at the top-right corner of the screen
- Select Account Management
- Enter your code in the Redeem Code field
Quick Echoes of the Sentient impressions
One of the update's most significant changes is the new movement system. Basically, players now have a variety of additional moves at their disposal. A new tutorial (pictured above and in the video) will teach players the following moves:
- Double jump
- Bullet jump
- Aim glide
- Attacking aim glide
- Wall dash (up)
- Wall dash (across)
- Wall latch (timed)
- Bullet jump (air direction)
- Wall dash
Learning the controls for the new moves and tweaked controls for existing moves certainly adds a learning curve. These moves feel good overall, but Digital Extremes really needs to settle on them permanently rather than revising the core gameplay every so often. Nobody wants to have to relearn the basic mechanics multiple times throughout a game's lifespan.
On the plus side, the new Equinox Warframe (pictured in most of this story's screenshots) is quite a looker. And all players get a trio of bonus items to mark the game's latest anniversary: Jade Calibur Noggle Statue, Jade color palette, and Seal of Honoring (a wearable logo). I haven't unlocked Uranus yet, but I look forward to the new Archwing missions and boss found there.
Warframe was one of my picks for best Xbox One games of 2014. See our review for more details. Get the game now and let's tackle the new Uranus mission together!
- Warframe – Xbox One – ~24 GB – Free – Xbox.com Link
Get the Windows Central Newsletter
All the latest news, reviews, and guides for Windows and Xbox diehards.
Paul Acevedo is the Games Editor at Windows Central. A lifelong gamer, he has written about videogames for over 15 years and reviewed over 350 games for our site. Follow him on Twitter @PaulRAcevedo. Don’t hate. Appreciate!