What you need to know
- Warframe is a popular free-to-play game in the same vein as Bungie's Destiny 2.
- The game was already updated for the PS5, but not for Xbox Series X|S.
- That changes today, as Warframe is officially an Xbox Series X|S Optimized title with today's expansion.
- The 'Call of the Tempestarii' update also includes new improvements, story content, a Warframe, and more.
Warframe is a long-running popular free-to-play third-person action shooter from studio Digital Extremes, and is commonly compared to games like Destiny 2. Warframe is generally an excellent game and is very well supported. Late last year, Warframe was updated for the PS5 with a bunch of new enhancements and improvements. Today, the game is following suit on Xbox. Warframe is now an Xbox Series X|S Optimized title (opens in new tab).
The Call of the Tempestarii expansion is rolling out for free to all Warframe players today, and includes a ton of new content for players to explore.
Warframe's Xbox Series X|S Optimizations include:
- 4K at 60 fps on Series X, 1080p at 60fps on Series S
- Dynamic real-time lighting and volumetric shadows
- New detailed sound system
- Improved loading speeds
- Cross-gen gameplay with Xbox One
The Call of the Tempestarii update includes:
- Puts you at the helm of the battleship Railjack
- Command a crew
- Wield a powerful weapon
- Acquiring a Railjack is much easier now
- Command Intrinsics and Avionics Systems updates
- Hireable AI crew members
- Can be leveled up
- Can be customized
- Many improvements to countless systems
- More diverse game modes and rewards
- New missions
- Sevagoth, the 46th Warframe
- Heavy damage type
- Heals teammates with enemy souls
- Second form unleashes devastating "Shadow" melee attack
- New space-bound story quest
- 8th-anniversary celebration
- Free perk for Xbox Game Pass Ultimate subscribers
There's a lot to like about the Call of the Tempestarii update, which is now available for Warframe players on Xbox Series X, Xbox Series S, Xbox One, PS5, PS4, and PC. Things are about to get even better for Warframe, as well, as upcoming changes to Xbox Live Gold will make Warframe truly free to play online—Xbox Live Gold will no longer be a requirement for online multiplayer in free-to-play games.
Warframe is one of the best games on Xbox, especially for fans of similar games like Destiny 2, which is now also a free-to-play game. If you haven't given it a try yet, now is the best time to jump in.
Now on Xbox Series X|S
One of the best free-to-play games
Warframe has long been one of the most polished and well-supported free-to-play games you can play, and now it's Optimized for Xbox Series X|S. Jump into Warframe and its brand-new free content update to see how it plays on next-gen consoles.
Zachary Boddy is the Minecraft Expert and a News Writer for Windows Central, Android Central, and iMore. They have been gaming and writing for most of their life, and have been freelancing for Windows Central and its sister sites since 2019, with a focus on Xbox and PC gaming. You can find Zachary on Twitter @BoddyZachary.
I'm a little disappointed the new quest was so short, but all the changes to railjack are amazing and have helped breathe new life into that game mode. Also the QOL updates to the navigation screen and other HUD's are very welcome.
Get the best of Windows Central in in your inbox, every day!
Thank you for signing up to Windows Central. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.