What you need to know
- The UWP version of WhatsApp Beta is now available through the Microsoft Store.
- Leakers recently shared images of the WhatsApp Beta UWP app.
- The app supports inking, toast notifications, and WhatsApp's new multi-device functionality that lets you stay connected without your phone being online.
WhatsApp is working on a new app for Windows 11 and Windows 10. Leaks showed of the app earlier this week, and it's now available to download in its beta form through the Microsoft Store. Well-known leaker WalkingCat shared a link to the WhatsApp Beta listing on November 15, 2021.
The new WhatsApp app has a new design that looks a bit more at home on Windows. It supports inking and traditional toast notifications. The WhatsApp Beta app also works with the new multi-device feature for the service. This allows users to stay connected to WhatsApp even when their phones are not connected to the internet. Note that you have to enroll your phone in the multi-device beta to use this feature.
Here's the description of the app from its Microsoft Store listing:
We've downloaded WhatsApp Beta and will run it through its paces to see how it compares to using WhatsApp as a PWA and the older version of WhatsApp from the Microsoft Store.
Windows Central Newsletter
Get the best of Windows Central in in your inbox, every day!
Sean Endicott brings nearly a decade of experience covering Microsoft and Windows news to Windows Central. He joined our team in 2017 as an app reviewer and now heads up our day-to-day news coverage. If you have a news tip or an app to review, hit him up at email@example.com (opens in new tab).
Just downloaded it, a couple things with the beta:
1. Extremely slow UI and animations, sometimes it doesn't respond for a couple seconds even.
2. The colon emoji function (for example writing ":heart" in order to post a heart emoji) doesn't work
3. Unable to make the left side (the "chats" side) larger than what it is set as default
4. When navigating submenus (eg: clicking on a contact's profile pic, searching for a text, clicking configuration) the focus does NOT go back into the messaging textbox, and it won't go back when clicking in the middle of the chat view, like it used to. You have to go all the way to the textbox and click it
5. Cannot multiselect messages If you have issue with any of these, don't download the beta
Thanks for sharing, *two thunbs up*
Dark mode is also missing? from the current beta release.
It's 64-Bit only ffs. No ARM64 version.
Thank you for signing up to Windows Central. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.