What you need to know
- Windows 10 build 19603 is now rolling out to Fast Ring Insiders.
- This build integrates the Windows Subsystem for Linux with the File Explorer.
- The build also adds a feature that helps you free up disk space by gathering unused files for easy deletion.
Microsoft just released a Windows 10 preview build for Fast Ring Insiders. The release brings systems to Windows 10 build 19603. It brings several new features, including integrating the Windows Subsystem for Linux with the File Explorer and a feature that gathers unused files and apps together for simple deletion.
The build also adds the Microsoft News Bar (Beta) and support for Canon's CR3 format in the raw image extension. Here's a look at all the changes that come with Windows 10 build 19603.
Other updates for Insiders
Introducing Microsoft News Bar (Beta)
A few cool things about this app:
- Stories are continuously updated throughout the day.
- Hover for quick access or select to get the full story.
- Provides News and Stocks today, with Weather and Sports coming in the future.
- Highly configurable, allowing you to place it on the side you want it, change the background color, change the appearance of what is shown, and which country you want the news from.
- Supports dark and light themes in Windows 10.
- Supports Multiple Monitors.
Raw Image Extension now supports Canon CR3 format
General changes & improvements
- Going forward, services that are implemented by binaries residing in the user profiles will be persisted on upgrades.
- Narrator will no longer automatically enable scan mode when interacting with the Ideas pane in Excel. In the new Microsoft Edge, Narrator now automatically enables scan mode and starts reading webpages.
- We are removing the known issue for incompatibility issues due to changes in the operating system between some Insider Preview builds and certain versions of BattlEye anti-cheat software. If you run into issues playing games that use BattlEye anti-cheat software, please submit feedback on these issues to us via Feedback Hub.
- We fixed an issue causing webcams to not function correctly when attempting to make a video call in Microsoft Teams.
- We fixed an issue resulting in some Insiders experiencing a green screen citing an error with mssecflt.sys when starting safe mode on recent builds.
- We fixed an issue resulting in the WIN + PrtScn keyboard shortcut no longer saving a picture to file.
- We fixed several reported stability issues with Narrator, including a fix where it will no longer crash when selecting text in scan mode with new Edge when remote operations are off.
- We fixed an issue leading to the Narrator Quick Start guide crashing while traversing it with Narrator.
- We fixed an issue where the EXE property information was incomplete in Task Manager for EoAExperiences.exe.
- We fixed an issue resulting in some devices experiencing a bugcheck (GSOD) during the reboot to install an update.
- We fixed an issue resulting in some Insiders experiencing a sporadic bugcheck (GSOD) with the error CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED.
- We fixed a bugcheck with error KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED some Insiders were experiencing when trying to sign out from the current user.
- We fixed an issue resulting in some Insiders receiving driver compatibility warnings when trying to update to a newer build in certain virtual environments.
- We fixed an issue that led to inaccurate size estimates for disk cleanup when the option to clean up old Windows installation files was included.
- We fixed an issue where Storage settings would say the option to clean old Windows installation files wasn't available, because it had been automatically removed after a certain number of days, when actually you had manually selected to remove it.
- We fixed an issue that could result in Settings crashing when navigating to Network & Internet for some Insiders.
- We fixed an issue where you would see a notification from the Shared Experiences page saying your account needed fixing, however the Fix Now option on the page wouldn't work.
- We fixed an issue where if the Cortana icon was turned off on the taskbar, it might still partially display on secondary monitors.
- We fixed an issue resulting in not being able to drag and drop files into the root of a network share folder.
- We fixed an issue where the IME context menu wouldn't appear when pressing Shift+F10 if the display language was something other than English.
- We fixed an issue that could result in IMEs created for Amharic and Sinhala to not input text until rebooting your PC.
- We fixed a crash some Insiders were encountering when switching window focus while an IME candidate pane was open.
For more, including a look at the known issues present in this release, you can check out Microsoft's full release notes. Otherwise, Insiders enrolled in the Fast ring can grab build 19603 now via Windows Update.
Get the Windows Central Newsletter
All the latest news, reviews, and guides for Windows and Xbox diehards.
Sean Endicott brings nearly a decade of experience covering Microsoft and Windows news to Windows Central. He joined our team in 2017 as an app reviewer and now heads up our day-to-day news coverage. If you have a news tip or an app to review, hit him up at email@example.com.