What you need to know
- Windows 10 build 19608 is now rolling out to Fast ring Insiders.
- This build brings the usual bug fixes, along with improvements to the default app experience.
- Build 19608 is available via Windows Update now.
Updated April 17, 2020: Microsoft released an update to this build today. Microsoft's blog post states, "We've released Cumulative Update Build 19608.1006 (KB4557426) that contains a single fix to improve overall reliability of the OS."
We're midway through another week, which means there's another new Fast ring build for Windows Insiders. This week, Microsoft shipped build 19608, which packs the usual smattering of bug fixes and improvements. There's also an update to the way you set default apps, allowing you to search file types, protocols, and apps.
Here's a look at all of what's new in Windows 10 build 19608 for Fast ring Insiders.
- We fixed an issue where Sticky Notes windows couldn't be moved.
- We fixed an issue resulting in language packs failing to install on the previous build. Anyone impacted by this may have noticed some parts of the UI weren't displaying in your preferred language.
- We fixed an issue resulting in Task Manager showing an incorrect icon for Microsoft Edge Canary.
- We fixed an issue resulting in the Snip & Sketch App launching in the background instead of foreground (on top of all windows) when the app was invoked via pen click.
- We fixed an issue where using the arrow keys in the taskbar volume flyout was unexpectedly backwards in Arabic, inconsistent from the direction it went in other slider controls.
- We've done some work to improve the performance when loading the Windows Update history page.
- We're aware Narrator and NVDA users that seek the latest release of Microsoft Edge based on Chromium may experience some difficulty when navigating and reading certain web content. Narrator, NVDA and the Edge teams are aware of these issues. Users of legacy Microsoft Edge will not be affected. NVAccess has released a NVDA 2019.3 that resolves the known issue with Edge.
- We're looking into reports of the update process hanging for extended periods of time when attempting to install a new build.
- The Documents and Downloads sections under Privacy show a broken icon next to their page name (just a rectangle).
- We're investigating reports that app icons in the taskbar are having rendering issues, including defaulting to the .exe icon.
- We're investigating reports that the battery icon on the lock screen always shows close to empty, regardless of actual battery levels.
- We're investigating reports of IIS configuration being set to default after taking a new build. You will need to back up your IIS configuration and restore it after the new build is installed successfully.
- Quickly switching between WSL distros using the File Explorer integration could cause a transient access error. We've identified the cause of this issue and are releasing a fix soon.
Microsoft also noted some other updates that it has rolled out to the Your Phone app in recent weeks, included small UI tweaks, drag-and-drop file support for Samsung Galaxy devices, and the extension of cross-device copy and paste to Samsung Galaxy S10e/S10/S10+, Note 10, and Fold devices.
Windows 10 build 19608 is available for Fast ring Insiders to download now via Windows Update. For more on this release, you can also check out Microsoft's full release notes.
Get the Windows Central Newsletter
All the latest news, reviews, and guides for Windows and Xbox diehards.