What you need to know
- Telegram client Unigram just received a major update to version 4.0.
- The update brings chat folders, the ability to stream audio and video files, and many other new features.
- The update is rolling out gradually through the Microsoft Store.
Telegram client Unigram received its largest update ever recently. The update pushes the app to version 4.0 and brings chat folders, the ability to stream audio and video files, improvements to sending files and editing media, and many other new features and improvements. The app's storage optimization also received a redesign, which allows you to customize what types of media are stored locally on your device.
Here is the app's complete changelog from Unigram's developer:
- Organize chats into Chat Folders if you have too many chats.
- Create custom folders with flexible settings, or use default recommendations.
- Pin an unlimited number of chats in each folder.
- Right click on a chat in your chat list to add it to a folder.
Stream Videos and Audio files
- You can now play any Videos and Audio files without having to download them.
Improved stickers, GIFs and emojis
- Stickers and GIFs are now animated in the sticker panel and inline bots results.
- Enjoy greatly enhanced loading times for GIFs.
- Quickly find GIFs in emoji-based sections covering the most popular emotions.
- Check the Trending Tab for the top reactions of the day.
- Right click on any GIF in search results to save it to your collection.
- Pinned stickers panel
- Emoji sets have been updated to Unicode 12.1.
- Inline bots got a lot of love as well: all results are now displayed correctly.
Improved files sender and media editor
- New files sender optimized for desktop.
- Choose whether to send your photos and videos as media, files or albums.
- Send uncompressed videos and GIFs.
- New media editor to crop, rotate, flip images and to draw on them.
Improved storage optimization
- Storage optimization screen got a slick redesign and a more polished UX.
The update is rolling out now. To see it, you might have to check for updates through the Microsoft Store. I spoke with the app's developer today and they explained that the update's rollout will gradually increase until Friday when 100 percent of users should see the update. If you manually check for the update, you can grab it now.
Sean Endicott brings nearly a decade of experience covering Microsoft and Windows news to Windows Central. He joined our team in 2017 as an app reviewer and now heads up our day-to-day news coverage. If you have a news tip or an app to review, hit him up at firstname.lastname@example.org (opens in new tab).
How is this vs the official one?
Windows 10's best Telegram client is Telegram Desktop.
It really is better than the official app, but they need to fix the audio recording bug that makes the whole computer freeze when the user tries to record an audio message.
How is it better?
Get the best of Windows Central in in your inbox, every day!
Thank you for signing up to Windows Central. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.