What you need to know
- An Amazon Alexa app for Xbox consoles has appeared on the Microsoft Store.
- The app doesn't work yet but could become functional soon.
- When it does work, the app will let you play music, view your smart home cameras, and do other tasks through Alexa.
An Alexa for Xbox app recently appeared in the Microsoft Store. The app doesn't work yet, but it could be close to becoming functional. Xbox consoles, including the Xbox Series X, Xbox Series S, and Xbox One support voice commands for Alexa through Echo devices, but it appears that this new app will add more functionality (via OnMSFT).
Right now, the app doesn't appear to be set up on Amazon's side of things. Once it is set up, you'll be able to ask the app to play music, view your smart home cameras, and do more through Amazon's Alexa assistant.
Here's the description of the app, as found on its app listing:
Put the power of Alexa on display.**
Alexa for Xbox brings our top features to your TV. Just ask Alexa to play music, view your Smart Home cameras, manage your shopping list, and more.
Requires an Amazon Echo or other compatible Alexa device.
Things to Try:
- Alexa, launch 'Game Name.'"
- "Alexa, turn on 'Xbox Name.'"
- "Alexa, play a song by 'artist name' on 'Xbox Name.'"
- "Alexa, show me the front door camera on 'Xbox Name.'"
- "Alexa, show me my shopping list on 'Xbox Name.'"
The screenshots for the app on its listing show it viewing a smart home camera and playing music. We'll have to wait for the app to get up and running before we can run it through its paces.
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.