Announced today via Xbox Wire, Microsoft revealed it is bringing DTS:X for Headphones spatial sound support to Xbox, alongside a range of other bug fixes and improvements. Microsoft previously spoke about bringing DTS spatial audio to Xbox all the way back in January 2019. Better late than never, eh?
If you're in the Alpha Skip Ahead ring, you can grab the DTS Sound Unbound app by navigating to your Xbox Insider Hub and joining the DTS Sound Unbound trial from the Insider Content section. The trial lasts for 24 hours, and can be refreshed indefinitely for those testing the app. When it launches to the general public, presumably it will cost a bit of cash similarly to the Dolby Atmos license.
This 2008 build also includes a few localization fixes, and notes some of the issues Microsoft is currently working on repairing.
- Various updates to properly reflect local languages across the console.
Xbox Insider Release Notes
- We understand some issues have been listed in previous Xbox Insider Release Notes. These issues aren't being ignored, but it will take Xbox engineers more time to find a solution. We appreciate your patience at this time!
- Users who have Dolby Atmos enabled and console display settings set to 120hz with 36 bits per pixel (12-bit) are experiencing loss of Dolby Atmos audio in some situations. Workaround: Disable 120hz or set Video Fidelity to 30 bits per pixel (10-bit) or lower.
- Some users have reported that Dolby Atmos for Headphones audio setting changes when the console is rebooted/updated. Note: If you attempt to set the audio to Dolby Atmos for Headphones and see a message advising you to launch the Dolby Access App, please file feedback before launching the app.
- We are aware game clips (non-4K and 4K) are not recording at all or recording the incorrect length with recent updates. We are investigating. Note: Make sure you report the behavior on the console as soon as you record the clip and notice either behavior. Workaround: We've implemented a fix where clips that do not record in 4K will instead record in 1080p instead.
- When installing or updating a game/app, the installation progress bar may not show progress. The issue is known and being investigated.
- We've received reports that the Friends tab is not showing the correct status of online/offline friends.
- Some users may notice that the Guide has changed appearance and functionality, this is expected behavior as there are certain experiences being flighted among a random subset of users in Preview.
- Users are reporting that Message notifications that have been marked as read are re-appearing as new. We are aware and investigating the behavior.
My Games & Apps
- Users have reported seeing black tiles instead of game artwork when browsing their collection. Note: We are still investigating the issue, please report the issue again from the console if you have done so with a prior update and are still seeing this behavior.
- Some titles in collection may appear with a "trial" tag incorrectly in collection.
- Sometimes users may encounter the incorrect Profile color when powering on the console.
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.
Update 6: Microsoft wants all of TikTok, but Trump's order may interfere
The Financial Times reports that as part of negotiations, Microsoft is now inquiring whether it can buy all of TikTok, instead of just the business in the US., Canada, Australia, and New Zealand. This new plan would include India and Europe (and excluding China).
Surface Duo and double Dans take over this week's Android Central podcast
Need even more Surface Duo in your life? Check out the latest Android Central podcast, in which Daniel Rubino and Daniel Bader (double the Dans!) discuss Surface Duo, Microsoft's Samsung love affair, and Project xCloud.
This is the best Windows 10 tablet you can buy right now
There are many Windows 10 tablets on the market, but it's hard to sort through the rubbish. Here's our picks for the best Windows 10 tablets you can buy right now. At the top of our list is the Surface Pro X, which we think is the best due to its ARM processor, large display, and thin form factor while still packing good battery life and excellent performance.
These are the best gaming laptops for playing PUBG
You have a lot of options when it comes to gaming laptops for playing PUBG. Luckily, this game can run on a lot of different machines. Here are our picks for the best laptops for PUBG.