What you need to know
- Yubico Login for Windows is now generally available.
- The app allows YubiKey users to securely login to local accounts on Windows devices.
- The app uses multi-factor authentification for local accounts.
Windows users now have another secure option for logging on to devices. Yubico Login for Windows is now generally available. The app allows users to use YubiKeys to log in to local accounts on Windows devices securely.
Yubico tested the application through a public preview for the last six months and has used that time to receive feedback and improve the application. In the blog post announcing the app's availability, Yubico lists four primary benefits of using Yubico Login for Windows.
- Highly secure and easy-to-use multi-factor authentication (MFA) for login using local accounts to Windows workstations
- Simple configuration for up to 10 individual users.
- Fast enrollment for backup YubiKeys
- Easy recovery mechanisms for lost YubiKeys
Yubico Login for Windows provides multi-factor authentification to users logging onto local accounts on Windows devices. It is not for online accounts like Azure Active Directory, Active Directory, and Microsoft accounts, though Yubico has options for these types of accounts.
Sean Endicott is the news writer for Windows Central. If it runs Windows, is made by Microsoft, or has anything to do with either, he's on it. Sean's been with Windows Central since 2017 and is also our resident app expert. If you have a news tip or an app to review, hit him up at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Can we get a docs article for config?
Get the best of Windows Central in in your inbox, every day!
Thank you for signing up to Windows Central. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.