What you need to know
- Yubico Login for Windows is now generally available.
- The app allows YubiKey users to securely login to local accounts on Windows devices.
- The app uses multi-factor authentification for local accounts.
Windows users now have another secure option for logging on to devices. Yubico Login for Windows is now generally available. The app allows users to use YubiKeys to log in to local accounts on Windows devices securely.
Yubico tested the application through a public preview for the last six months and has used that time to receive feedback and improve the application. In the blog post announcing the app's availability, Yubico lists four primary benefits of using Yubico Login for Windows.
- Highly secure and easy-to-use multi-factor authentication (MFA) for login using local accounts to Windows workstations
- Simple configuration for up to 10 individual users.
- Fast enrollment for backup YubiKeys
- Easy recovery mechanisms for lost YubiKeys
Yubico Login for Windows provides multi-factor authentification to users logging onto local accounts on Windows devices. It is not for online accounts like Azure Active Directory, Active Directory, and Microsoft accounts, though Yubico has options for these types of accounts.
Get the Windows Central Newsletter
All the latest news, reviews, and guides for Windows and Xbox diehards.
Sean Endicott brings nearly a decade of experience covering Microsoft and Windows news to Windows Central. He joined our team in 2017 as an app reviewer and now heads up our day-to-day news coverage. If you have a news tip or an app to review, hit him up at email@example.com.