Update 2 Microsoft has just informed us that the game "was briefly made available in the marketplace for Windows Phone customers to download and play for a short period while testing." So it's only available in a few markets until it completes the company's certification process.
Update: Currently, the game appears to be US-only.
As previously announced, Microsoft has launched a new entry in its long running Zoo Tycoon simulation game series, Zoo Tycoon Friends, as a free-to-play game for Windows Phone and Windows 8.1 devices.
The game is much like the previous titles in the series in that the player is charged with creating and maintaining a zoo, and all of its animals, while also trying to attract visitors. Zoo Tycoon Friends also has a mission-based mode where they control human characters who have to rescue animals around the world "in peril from global warming, flooding, drought, and other natural and man-made threats."
Here's a quick list of the game's features, which include an unnamed bonus if you own the Xbox One Zoo Tycoon game that came out in 2013:
- Create your ultimate zoo and release animals to nature reserves to aid conservation efforts!
- Free-to-play game syncs automatically between your Windows 8 phone, tablet, and PC!
- Bond with more than 40 amazing interactive animals in your zoo!
- Bonus one-of-a-kind story and mission design!
- More than 100 animal-friendly missions!
- Get creative! Decorate your zoo and share it with your friends!
- Connect with your friends through Xbox Live and Facebook!
- Special bonus for Zoo Tycoon for Xbox One players!
- Achievements are reflected in your Xbox Live gamerscore!
Unfortunately, the Windows Phone version does not currently support 512 MB devices. Hopefully this will be dealt with in a future update. If the game doesn't show up on your device, you might want to wait as it might still be propagating in the store fronts. Will you be getting this game and making your dream zoo? Thanks to Joe for the tip!
Get the Windows Central Newsletter
All the latest news, reviews, and guides for Windows and Xbox diehards.