BitTorrent Sync is coming soon to Windows Phone. The app was discovered in the Windows Phone Store and appears to be undergoing a private beta at the moment. Fans of BitTorrent will be pretty excited to learn about their new Sync service. Ready to access your files from anywhere on the planet for free? How about sharing files with a free and not having to worry about upload limits on the size of the file? You can do all of that with BitTorrent Sync.
What is BitTorrent Sync (www.bittorrent.com/sync)? Think of it as cloud storage like OneDrive or Dropbox. The difference is that your files never end up on servers owned by companies like Microsoft, Google, Dropbox, Box and others. Instead your files are only ever on your machine. It’s basically a private cloud that you control. Remember Live Mesh? Like that.
The Windows Phone app is currently in a beta. No, there is no public sign up. The app appears to have started a beta test sometime in mid-December. That’s at least when the official BitTorrent Sync twitter account started looking for beta testers. Judging from screenshots in the Windows Phone Store, the app sports a spartan look, but appears functional.
Here’s what you can look forward to when the app goes public.
- Access all your Sync folders and files from your Windows Phone device.
- Add photos from your Windows Phone device to any of your Sync folders.
- Automatically back up your Camera Roll to a folder on your computer.
- File transfers are encrypted and protected by secure keys.
- Your information is never stored on a server in the cloud.
- Connecting the Sync application to other Sync folders is as easy as taking a picture of a QR code with your camera.
We reached out to the BitTorrent team to learn more about the app and when we can expect it. We’ll definitely let you guys and gals know when it comes.
Thanks for the heads up Robert W!
P.S. It won't do you any good just yet, but this is where you'll find the app in the Windows Phone Store. You were going to ask anyways.