It's not mandatory, but there has been a firmware update available for the Xbox One controller for a while now. If you've purchased an Xbox One Stereo Headset Adapter, then this update is necessary in order for it to work properly. The process is very simple. Follow the steps and watch the video after the break.
- Turn on the Xbox One and sign in to Xbox Live. This ensures the Xbox One is connected online with access to the latest updates.
- If you're planning to use the Xbox One Stereo Headset Adapter, plug it into the bottom of your controller and plug in a headset (a headset must be plugged in so the adapter will turn on).
- Plug the big end of a micro-USB cable into the port on the side of the console. This cable is included with your Xbox One packaging, but other micro-USB cables should work like the cable that comes with your Windows Phone.
- Plug the small end of the USB cable into the top of the controller.
- The update process should automatically start. Follow the instructions, and don't disconnect the USB cable while the update is in progress. If the update doesn't start automatically, press the menu button, select Settings -> System -> Update controller, then select Continue.
- When the update is complete, unplug the USB cable. If you have more controllers to update, you can connect them one at a time, and select the Update another button on the screen.
That's it! If you try to update a controller that has already been updated, the Xbox One proceeds to the success screen within a few seconds to indicate it is already updated.
Microsoft has not made this update mandatory, so you don't have to do it right away. Nevertheless, the update is available if you wish to have the latest firmware. Are you going to update your controller?