What you need to know
- Grounded is an early access game from Obsidian Entertainment, and shrinks players down to the size of insects.
- It's already attracted tons of players, and has received a few updates, including new features, since its launch.
- A new patch update is available today, update 0.2.1, for this early access title, and includes a sizeable list of fixes.
- You can find the changelog below to see if any issues you've been facing were fixed in this update.
It feels like it hasn't been long since Grounded's first content update in August, and the Early Access and Game Preview game from Obsidian Entertainment is already getting its next patch update with version 0.2.1. This update doesn't include any new features, of course, but there are tons of bug fixes and general improvements aiming to make Grounded a better and more stable game. A lot of these fixes were requested by the community, and were known bugs and issues in Grounded.
If you're interested, the 0.2.1 patch update for Grounded includes:
Top community issues
- The chat log will now show your own messages in the lobby and in the game
- Ants will no longer be able to steal items from containers out of reach from them
- You can now overwrite saved games
- Save Games are grouped by playthrough in the Save / Load menu
- Fixed an issue where the camera would go inside the player while in the 3rd-person camera when near specific building structures
- Grub audio has been adjusted
- Better render performance when dealing with dynamic shadow culling
- Added a message that will notify PC players when their system clock does not match the server clock. This issue prevented these players from hosting or joining games
- Save Games now show an icon indicating if that save was made while playing single-player or multiplayer. Affects only new saves going forward
- More accurate handling of cloud save upload / deletion for Xbox and Win 10 Store versions of the game
- Save Game max storage on Xbox / Windows 10 has been increased from 256 MB to 1GB (takes effect on reinstall)
- Fixed issue with saves triggered while having an unplaced building blueprint could cause the save not to be able to load
- Included gas damage effect that was missing from the Fresh Defense mutation
- Fixed items that are moving around with physics at the time of save not being saved into save games
- Fixed clients not being able to see other players aim their bodies when they look up and down
- Added Acorn Shovel+ recipe and Pebblet Foundation recipes that will become available at BURG.L's Tech Chip Swap Shop when completing the Chipslueth Cold Blooded BURG.L quest by turning in the Stained BURG.L Chip
- Enlarged mint container and resized the mints to make them slightly smaller so players can get into the Ice Cap container more easily
- Collectible SCA.Bs properly disappear on clients when picked up
- Included a fix for the missing leaves throughout the world
- Slime Mold Stalk patches properly disappear on clients when the entire stalk is collected
- Water Fleas no longer leave the water to fly around the backyard
Items / equipment / resources
- Added a unique icon to the Simple Bed
- Gas Arrows can now be picked up as regular arrows after being shot
- Gas Arrows now deal twice as much damage
- Gas Arrow recipe now produces 2 arrows instead of 1
- Feather Arrow recipe now produces 2 arrows instead of 1
- Fixed an issue where players would respawn inside the Simple Bed instead of next to it
- Weapons now do the proper damage type when thrown
- Fixed Tropicop juice box not spawning juice drops from the straw
- Adjusted the interactable highlight to be less intrusive
- Fixed a certain key item showing an audio log model instead of a sheet of paper model
Overall, this is a pretty decent patch update for Grounded, even if it's not the next content update. Until then, we'll just have to be content with continuous improvements in the game's balance, gameplay, and stability.
It's a big(ger) world out there.
Obsidian Entertainment makes its exclusive debut on Xbox One and PC with Grounded, a unique survival experience that literally makes all of your problems much, much bigger. Join your friends as you're shrunk down to the size of an ant and are forced to survive in a dangerous backyard.
Get the Windows Central Newsletter
All the latest news, reviews, and guides for Windows and Xbox diehards.
Zachary Boddy (They / Them) is a Staff Writer for Windows Central, primarily focused on covering the latest news in tech and gaming, the best Xbox and PC games, and the most interesting Windows and Xbox hardware. They have been gaming and writing for most of their life starting with the original Xbox, and started out as a freelancer for Windows Central and its sister sites in 2019. Now a full-fledged Staff Writer, Zachary has expanded from only writing about all things Minecraft to covering practically everything on which Windows Central is an expert, especially when it comes to Microsoft. You can find Zachary on Twitter @BoddyZachary.