If any game was always destined to be added to the list of best racing games, it was Forza Horizon 5. This open-world racing title from Playground Games offers massive improvements over its predecessor in every way imaginable, including launching simultaneously on PC through the Microsoft Store and Steam, on top of its obvious Xbox release. Of course, the sheer variety of PC hardware out there means it's imperative you ensure your PC is up to par to handle everything FH5 throws at it.
Here are the full PC requirements for Forza Horizon 5, how you can check your own PC's hardware, and your options for nabbing a PC capable of running FH5 at its very best.
The unchallenged champion
The best open-world racer
Playground Games has delivered its latest masterpiece with Forza Horizon 5, which features the series' most diverse map and largest car list yet. Forza Horizon 5 somehow fulfills its ambitious promises to be the best open-world racer right now, and one of the best racing games in general.
What is Forza Horizon 5?
Forza Horizon 5 is an open-world racing game developed by Playground Games and Xbox Game Studios, but it's also more than just a racing game. This long-running series is situated around the mythical Horizon Festival, which sees racers from all over the world congregate in beautiful locations to become the very best. Players are able to accomplish anything they want in Forza Horizon, and FH5 turns the dial up to 11.
Playground has made huge improvements to its latest Forza Horizon iteration, with an extra year of development contributing to Forza Horizon 5's map being the largest and most diverse ever, while the Forza Horizon 5 car list will feature more cars at launch than any previous entry. With huge strides made in accessibility, diversity, and a ton of player-centric features surrounding customization and choice, Forza Horizon 5 is an excellent addition to the Xbox ecosystem.
In our Forza Horizon 5 review, we concluded that the epic title is a brilliant accomplishment from every angle, with hundreds of hours of fun content for players to explore. PC players can also witness the very best of FH5, thanks to a variety of settings and features. For more information, check out our ultimate guide to Forza Horizon 5.
What are the PC requirements for Forza Horizon 5?
Forza games have long been visual showcases on any platform they launch, and Forza Horizon 5 is no different. Forza Horizon 5 is undoubtedly one of the most attractive games on the market today, with a myriad of features and optimizations to highlight FH5's graphical and technical prowess. Forza Horizon 5 marks a noticeable improvement over its predecessor, and as such requires relatively beefy PC specifications to get the most out of it.
Playground has detailed full PC requirements for their racing title, and it's split into the standard three tiers: minimum, recommended, and ideal. While players can obtain a solid racing experience even on minimum specs, recommended provides the greatest balance between performance and visuals. Those with powerful gaming rigs may be able to experience Forza Horizon 5 at even higher levels, with peerless visual quality, resolution, and even ray-tracing features while viewing cars in the Forzavista mode.
Below is a table of all the PC requirements for Forza Horizon 5, which should, hopefully, give you an idea of what it'll take to get the experience you're after in Forza Horizon 5.
|Minimum specs||Recommended specs||Ideal specs|
AMD Ryzen 3 1200
AMD Ryzen 5 1500X
AMD Ryzen 7 3800XT
|GPU||NVIDIA GTX 970|
AMD Radeon RX 470
|NVIDIA GTX 1070|
AMD Radeon RX 590
|NVIDIA RTX 3080|
AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT
|Storage||110GB HDD||110GB HDD||110GB SSD|
|OS version||Windows 10 Nov. 2019 Update (Version 1909)|
|Windows 10 Nov. 2019 Update (Version 1909)|
|Windows 10 Nov. 2019 Update (Version 1909)|
Can my PC run Forza Horizon 5?
Forza Horizon 5 is impressive from every angle, and is certainly a step above the game that came before it. Gaming PCs come in all manners of specs, shapes, and sizes, so FH5's PC requirements beg the question: Can my PC run Forza Horizon 5?
There are a number of ways to check your PC's hardware, if you're not already familiar with the intimate specs, but the easiest method is the DirectX Diagnostic Tool, a piece of software built into Windows that will thoroughly check and break down all of your PC's hardware. From this tool, you'll be able to obtain an overview of all the components in your PC, letting you easily check it against Forza Horizon 5's PC requirements.
Here's how you can use the DirectX Diagnostic Tool to check whether your PC can run Forza Horizon 5.
- On your computer, open the Start Menu or Search by tapping the Windows button on your keyboard, or clicking the icon on your taskbar.
- Once the Start Menu or Search is open, type in
dxdiagto search for the DirectX Diagnostic Tool.
- Once you've searched for it, click on the "dxdiag" command option or press enter to open the DirectX Diagnostic Tool.
- Once you've opened the DirectX Diagnostic tool, navigate to the "System" tab to see your Windows version ("Operating System"), CPU ("Processor"), and RAM ("Memory").
- Then, navigate to the "Display" tab to see your GPU ("Name"/"Chip Type") and VRAM ("Display Memory").
- Once you have all your PC specifications, compare them to the Forza Horizon 5 PC requirements listed up above.
What are the best pre-built PCs and PC parts for Forza Horizon 5?
Many players might have perfectly capable PCs that aren't quite ready for Forza Horizon 5, and many others may be in the market for a new PC altogether. Fortunately, there are options for both groups, as there are plenty of excellent PCs, both desktops and laptops, that are capable of delivering an excellent high-speed experience in FH5. Those who need just a little more graphical oomph can peruse the best PC GPUs for gaming.
For those who are in the market for a brand-new gaming rig, look no further than the best gaming desktop PCs and best gaming laptop PCs that are available right now. Below we've listed some of our top picks that meet FH5's PC requirements, or you can look directly at the best pre-built PCs for Forza Horizon 5 for even more options.
Here are the best options for those looking to play Forza Horizon 5 on a budget by meeting or exceeding the game's minimum requirements.
Our choice for running Forza Horizon 5 on minimum settings is the CyberPowerPC Gamer Master, which features capable budget gaming hardware in a traditional and easily upgradeable case. While thermal performance isn't the greatest in this desktop PC, and the entry specs aren't anything to be too excited about, CyberPowerPC has delivered a PC almost custom-built to run FH5 on a budget, by comfortably exceeding the minimum requirements without breaking the bank.
One of the best value gaming PCs, the CyberPowerPC Gamer Master comes with everything you need to run Forza Horizon 5 by exceeding the minimum specs comfortably and features plenty of room for future upgrades.
The Acer Nitro 5 is often considered as one of the best value gaming laptops you can buy, and the newest model continues to offer shocking levels of performance for what you pay. There are several different configurations to choose from, but every one is able to handle Forza Horizon 5's minimum requirements with relative ease. For those seeking portability on a budget, the Acer Nitro 5 is one of the best options.
One of the best budget gaming laptops continues to be updated with newer hardware, making it even more able to handle everything Forza Horizon 5 can throw at it. The Acer Nitro 5 features decent hardware for the price, and is a solid choice.
Here are the best options for those looking to blend visual quality and performance by meeting or exceeding Forza Horizon 5's recommended requirements.
HP offers surprisingly great gaming hardware, often at aggressive prices. The HP OMEN 30L Gaming Desktop looks and runs fantastic, and comes with powerful and configurable hardware to provide the exact experience you're looking for. The HP OMEN desktop should meet FH5's recommended requirements in practically every configuration, but we do recommend that you opt for 16GB of RAM if you purchase the HP OMEN desktop straight from HP.
The HP OMEN 30L Gaming Desktop features tons of configurations to meet your desired price point, and is a solid gaming PC in practically every aspect, even if it can get a little noisy. Just be sure to opt for 16GB of RAM.
That's right, HP OMEN makes another appearance, but this time as a 15-inch gaming laptop. HP continues to bundle competent hardware into well-priced bundles, and the HP OMEN 15 Gaming Laptop is a pretty great option for playing Forza Horizon 5. Once again, try to opt for 16GB of RAM if you go through HP's website.
The HP OMEN 15 Gaming Laptop comes in tons of configurations, and a lot of them are capable of pushing Forza Horizon 5 at higher settings than more affordable options. Like the desktop, though, make sure you're getting a model that has 16GB of RAM onboard.
Here are the best options for those looking to obtain the most premium experience in Forza Horizon 5 by meeting or exceeding the ideal PC requirements.
Alienware is well known for stuffing incredibly powerful hardware into attractive and unique designs, and the Alienware Aurora R12 Gaming Desktop is no different. While the Aurora R12 is available in more affordable packages, those looking for the absolute best experience in Forza Horizon 5 will need to shell out much more for higher configurations.
This ludicrously powerful gaming desktop comes in tons of configurations, with many of the higher-end options capable of running Forza Horizon 5 at its very best.
Razer has consistently made some of the best gaming laptops for years now, so it's no surprise that its Razer Blade 15 Advanced tops our list of choices to play Forza Horizon 5 at its very best. Available in ludicrously powerful configurations, the Razer Blade 15 Advanced will let you max out FH5 while remaining portable, if you're willing to pay the price.
The Razer Blade 15 Advanced is a tremendously powerful gaming rig that's also capable of moving with you, and is available in several configurations. Most configurations just change the kind of display you're getting, so choose wisely.
What are the PC features and options in Forza Horizon 5?
Forza Horizon 5 launched on more platforms simultaneously than Playground has ever accomplished before, including Steam and the Microsoft Store on PC, so many players may be wondering what they're gaining (or losing) by playing this open-world behemoth of a racing game on PC versus other platforms.
Here are some of the features of Forza Horizon 5 on PC platforms.
- PC specific settings and options. Forza Horizon 5 features "a vast array of graphics settings," according to Playground Games, that lets players obtain the exact experience they're looking for on PC. As long as your hardware can handle it, you'll be able to configure different parts of your FH5 experience, including:
- Tweak the visuals settings all the way up to a 4K resolution
- Unlock the frame rate for increased performance
- Enable HDR for higher contrast
- Expand the field-of-view settings
- Play on ultrawide monitors, up to a 21:9 aspect ratio
- Increased steering wheel support. Alongside improved force feedback that ties into Forza Horizon 5's rebuilt physics systems, and more granular contextual settings for steering wheels, FH5 also supports many of the most popular steering wheel options from several manufacturers, including:
- Logitech's Driving Force, G25, G27, G29, G920, G923PS, G923XB, and Momo wheels
- Thrustmaster's Ferrari 458, T150 RS, T300 RS, T500 RS, TMX, T-GT, TS-XW, TX, and TS-PC wheels
- Fanatec's V1, V2, V2.5, CSL, CSL DD, DD1, DD2, and Universal Hub wheels
- Here are the best Forza Horizon 5 steering wheels for every budget
- Support for haptic feedback on controller. All versions of Forza Horizon 5 support haptic feedback on the Xbox Wireless Controller, even on Steam. This rumble support should provide a better and more tactile experience no matter where you play FH5.
- Support for ray tracing and audio improvements. Forza Horizon 5 supports ray tracing while viewing cars in Forzavista, which offers realistic lighting, reflections, and textures when getting up close and personal with your vehicles. PCs with supported hardware take advantage of this, as well as ray-traced audio and ambient noises throughout the FH5 map.
- Support for crossplay between all platforms. While the Steam version of Forza Horizon 5, unfortunately, doesn't support cross-save for keeping your progression across platforms, all versions of Forza Horizon 5 support full crossplay. This means online multiplayer isn't restricted between platforms, with all players able to race alongside each other, regardless of where you play.
- Support for Xbox Play Anywhere. Forza Horizon 5, like other first-party Xbox Game Studios titles that launch on PC, supports Xbox Play Anywhere. This means that players who purchase FH5 from the Microsoft Store will immediately own the game on both Xbox and PC, complete with cross-save and crossplay functionality. If you play on console and PC, this is the best of both worlds.
- No mod support. One of the only unfortunate pieces of news for Forza Horizon 5 on PC, depending on who you ask, is the lack of mod support. No version of FH5 features mod support, which has drawn some criticism from the community. This move is likely to protect the always-connected nature of Forza Horizon 5, which prioritizes online play where everyone is on a level playing field. To help compensate for the lack of mod support, though, players can take advantage of EventLab. This powerful editing tool features many of the same controls and options that Playground uses to build the game itself, and can be used for custom game modes, events, races, and much more.
- Some bugs and issues. Forza Horizon 5 players have already experienced some known bugs and issues, especially while playing on PC. This includes a crashing issue on PC, for which there is a workaround. We're keeping an eye on how Forza Horizon 5 is faring on every platform, while Playground Games has already confirmed it's working on fixes and patches in the background.
The unchallenged champion
The best open-world racer
Playground Games has delivered their latest masterpiece with Forza Horizon 5, which features the series' most diverse map and largest car list yet. Forza Horizon 5 somehow fulfills its ambitious promises to be the best open-world racer right now, and one of the best racing games in general.
All your gaming needs, in one subscription
Is the Xbox Game Pass Ultimate the best value in all of gaming? It's possible. Ultimate bundles your Xbox Live Gold subscription, an Xbox Game Pass subscription for both Xbox consoles and Windows PCs, and Xbox Cloud Gaming for on-the-go. Forza Horizon 5 is available through Xbox Game Pass from day one, including on consoles, PC, and the cloud.