If you have been part of the Windows Insider Program or you're a proud owner of a brand new Lumia phone, you probably already went through the initial setup and had been using many of the new features Windows 10 Mobile has to offer. What you probably didn't notice is that through the initial setup, you've never been prompted to enter a custom device name for your phone.
It seems that on an effort to simplify the initial configuration setup, similar to Windows 10 for desktop, Windows 10 Mobile doesn't prompt users to specify a name for their phone. Instead, it only uses a generic "Windows phone" name, which is not very personalized.
Furthermore, there are also various reasons why you may want to consider changing your phone's name. For example, by using a more accurate name it can help you to identify your phone quickly when connected to a Wi-Fi network. Or when you're trying to pair it with your Windows 10 PC using Bluetooth connectivity, or when you're managing your devices in your Microsoft Account.
In today's beginner guide, we'll show you two different ways that you can use to rename your Windows 10 Mobile phone to virtually anything you like:
Method one: Rename your phone using the Settings app
In this first method, we'll be looking into the steps to rename your Windows 10 Mobile handset using the Settings app:
- While in the Start screen, swipe left to bring All apps, then search for and open the Settings app, and tap on System.
- Scroll down and tap on About.
- Similar to the Windows 10 desktop version of Settings, the About page shows various pieces of information about your phone and it also it allows you to change the device name. Now simply tap Edit name under "Device name".
- Enter the new device name and tap Save.
Method two: Rename your phone using File Explorer
Alternatively, you can also change the name of your phone by connecting the device to your Windows PC and using File Explorer.
- Using a USB data transfer cable connect your Windows 10 Mobile handset to your computer, and let the operating system detect the device.
- Go to the Start menu, search for and open File Explorer.
- From the left pane, go to This PC, and your handset should now appear under Devices and drives. If the default settings are still in place, the device name should read "Windows phone." Right-click the device, and select Rename.
- After you have entered the new device name, press Enter to commit the change.
- Finally, you can verify that the name has changed by disconnecting and reconnecting the handset in your computer, and double-checking the name in File Explorer. You can also sign into your phone, open the Settings app, and go to System > About, and the new name should appear under Device name.
Quick Tip: The name should be less than 33 characters and it should not contain special characters, such as < > ; : " * + = \ | ? ,.
For more tips and tricks, and the best coverage on Windows 10 Mobile, you can visit the following resources:
- Windows 10 Mobile on Windows Central – All you need to know
- Continuum news, tips, and tricks
- Microsoft Lumia 950 on Windows Central
- Microsoft Lumia 950 XL on Windows Central
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.
Everything we know about Resident Evil Village (so far)
Capcom's next survival-horror title may be Resident Evil 8. Related rumors indicate a first-person setting, some returning characters and more.
Office.com is getting a pretty snazzy new look
Microsoft has started rolling out a new look for its Office web portal for commercial customers. Presumably, the new look will head out to regular Microsoft 365 subscribers at some point, but Microsoft hasn't formally announced the redesign yet.
Microsoft is reportedly considering buying the WB Games division
Microsoft is reportedly considering a bid on Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment. Previously, Take-Two Interactive, Electronic Arts and Activision were all reportedly interested as well.
These high-powered Dell solutions will keep your business going forward
Performance issues can be a serious bottleneck when it comes to productivity. If you're looking to improve performance to maximize what you and your team can get done, Dell Technologies has everything you need.