Borderlands 3 isn't quite having the launch Gearbox may have hoped for it. Though the reception has mostly been positive so far — you'll need to wait a bit for our final thoughts, but Jez Corden has an early impression — people are discussing a host of problems that have popped up. This is typical for any AAA game the size of Borderlands 3, but it doesn't make the bugs we run in to any less frustrating.
And because Borderlands 3 launched on the Epic Games Store, players are bypassing Epic's abysmal forums and actually troubleshooting and discussing their PC problems over on Steam's forums. Seriously.
Known bugs and launch issues
- Players are reporting that upon joining another player's game who is further than they are, all quests up until that point will complete and all audio will play at once.
- Cloud saves on PC can become corrupted and delete your character. (Fixed)
Performance and graphics
- Frame rate drops have been reported across consoles and PC at various locations, especially when aiming down sights.
- Those using ultrawide monitors may notice parts of the screen cut off during cutscenes.
- Audio can cut out at times.
- If DirectX 12 is enabled on PC, you may not be able to get past the Claptrap loading screen before the game begins.
- Players may need to double click on items in menus for it to register.
- Menus frequently lag and stutter.
- Exiting out of the game or attempting to join a friend's may turn off your console.
- Completing the game on True Vault Hunter mode may delete any weapons saved in your bank on Sanctuary III.
A workaround for DirectX 12 causing users not to load their games has been found:
Set your .ini file back to DX11:
Go to C:\Users\USERNAME\Documents\My games\Borderlands 3\Saved\Config>\WindowsNoEditor - Open the GameUserSettings.ini in a text editor and change this line: PreferredGraphicsAPI=DX12 to PreferredGraphicsAPI=DX11
- Playable characters may drift slightly to the right even when not touching the thumbstick. Adjusting the sensitivity of the thumbstick in the menus seems to fix this.
- Stat cards for weapons on ground may appear slightly off screen or do not pop up when directly looking at the weapon.
- When FL4K uses Gamma Burst to revive his pet, it will continually double the cooldown of your action skill each time you use it until you exit the game.
- Map will snap to fast travel points when you go to use it.
- Incorrect weapon cards may display in your inventory when hovered over a particular weapon.
- Some players are not seeing their pre-order bonuses or Deluxe Edition content download automatically. To fix this, try to search for them in the Microsoft tore and download them individually.
If you've encountered any issues yourselves that we haven't mentioned, please let us know in the comments. This list isn't exhaustive by any means, and there are surely a lot more that will pop up as more players get their hands on Borderlands 3. It's worth noting that some of these can be fixed by simply exiting the game.
Gearbox has not said anything about an upcoming patch, but one is likely in the works to fix at least some of these issues.
Prepare for the fight of the galaxy
Borderlands 3 promises a ton of action and mayhem. Pick your new favorite Vault Hunter and get ready to save the worlds. No pressure or anything. Oh, and watch out for the wildlife.
Windows Central Newsletter
Get the best of Windows Central in in your inbox, every day!
I wonder how much of an impact the Denuvo DRM has on the performance of the PC version.
Yes i have an issue. When the claptrap loading screen is comes by. It only comes by ones and i see the next page (small letters and logo's of different company's) and suddenly my screen, mouse and keyboard shuts of and my computers ventilators are spinning higher. I have no idea how to fix it and i've aldeary changed DriectX from 12 to 11.
Playable characters may drift slightly to the right even when not touching the thumbstick on Xbox; and PC too...
When trying to join a friends game, my Xbox one X has shut down 3 times including back to back attempts. Complete turn off hard restart.
This is interesting, I had something very similar. Tried to join a friend's game on Xbox One X, the game froze. I closed the game app to restart and it turned my Xbox off.
I had the issue of none of the Deluxe Edition content downloading automatically. Was able to manually download it ok.
On Xbox One, I play split screen with my boyfriend and any time either of us opens the menu, it causes extreme lag for both of us. Sometimes it take nearly 20 seconds before we can move again. I’ve also been stuck a few times when trying to open character customization in Sanctuary where it won’t allow me to move or select anything. Have also had audio go out whether it was the guns, music, or NPCs speaking. Also had an enemy get stuck in a wall so I couldn’t pass a wave in a tournament. LOTS of issues that need to be fixed.
ive stopped playing it until they patch it
theres also a bug that prevents you from leaving the ship as well. like say you have way points unlocked on a planet trying to acess them from the ship wont show up. as far as i know there is no workaround
Other minor items I noticed on PC (using controller if that helps): 1. When initially opening quick change station, I noticed that I cannot move to highlight other items such as "Skins" or "Head". If I also select the first option that is automatically highlighted and enter that sub menu, I cannot move to select items, such as colors, using analog stick or D-Pad. Not sure if this is relative to the drifting issue and fix with the sensitivity reported when using the controller. The workaround is to first enter the quick change station, back out, then enter again. Seems to work normal after that. 2. When riding in the back of the 4 person vehicle, I noticed flickering with the vehicle. 3. Floating objects/sometimes HUD displayed in front of cut-scenes.
Thank you for signing up to Windows Central. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.