Borderlands 3 isn't quite having the launch Gearbox may have hoped for it. Though the reception has mostly been positive so far — you'll need to wait a bit for our final thoughts, but Jez Corden has an early impression — people are discussing a host of problems that have popped up. This is typical for any AAA game the size of Borderlands 3, but it doesn't make the bugs we run in to any less frustrating.
And because Borderlands 3 launched on the Epic Games Store, players are bypassing Epic's abysmal forums and actually troubleshooting and discussing their PC problems over on Steam's forums. Seriously.
Known bugs and launch issues
- Players are reporting that upon joining another player's game who is further than they are, all quests up until that point will complete and all audio will play at once.
- Cloud saves on PC can become corrupted and delete your character. (Fixed)
Performance and graphics
- Frame rate drops have been reported across consoles and PC at various locations, especially when aiming down sights.
- Those using ultrawide monitors may notice parts of the screen cut off during cutscenes.
- Audio can cut out at times.
- If DirectX 12 is enabled on PC, you may not be able to get past the Claptrap loading screen before the game begins.
- Players may need to double click on items in menus for it to register.
- Menus frequently lag and stutter.
- Exiting out of the game or attempting to join a friend's may turn off your console.
- Completing the game on True Vault Hunter mode may delete any weapons saved in your bank on Sanctuary III.
A workaround for DirectX 12 causing users not to load their games has been found:
Set your .ini file back to DX11:
Go to C:\Users\USERNAME\Documents\My games\Borderlands 3\Saved\Config>\WindowsNoEditor - Open the GameUserSettings.ini in a text editor and change this line: PreferredGraphicsAPI=DX12 to PreferredGraphicsAPI=DX11
- Playable characters may drift slightly to the right even when not touching the thumbstick. Adjusting the sensitivity of the thumbstick in the menus seems to fix this.
- Stat cards for weapons on ground may appear slightly off screen or do not pop up when directly looking at the weapon.
- When FL4K uses Gamma Burst to revive his pet, it will continually double the cooldown of your action skill each time you use it until you exit the game.
- Map will snap to fast travel points when you go to use it.
- Incorrect weapon cards may display in your inventory when hovered over a particular weapon.
- Some players are not seeing their pre-order bonuses or Deluxe Edition content download automatically. To fix this, try to search for them in the Microsoft tore and download them individually.
If you've encountered any issues yourselves that we haven't mentioned, please let us know in the comments. This list isn't exhaustive by any means, and there are surely a lot more that will pop up as more players get their hands on Borderlands 3. It's worth noting that some of these can be fixed by simply exiting the game.
Gearbox has not said anything about an upcoming patch, but one is likely in the works to fix at least some of these issues.
Prepare for the fight of the galaxy
Borderlands 3 promises a ton of action and mayhem. Pick your new favorite Vault Hunter and get ready to save the worlds. No pressure or anything. Oh, and watch out for the wildlife.
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.
Microsoft's cloud will power CES 2021
CES is going all-digital next year, and it's tapping Microsoft to power the experience. Microsoft and CTA announced today that Microsoft services like Teams, Azure, and Power Platform will all be used to put together next year's show.
Xbox Smart Delivery Games List
The full list of Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S titles committed to Smart Delivery support, and other free visual upgrade offers headed into next-generation consoles.
Xbox game store pages are still a nightmare for non-English speaking users
Microsoft's push for global gaming is still set back by this basic feature disparity.
Replace your Xbox Bluray player with these 4K UHD Bluray Players
While the specs and price of the Xbox Series S make it tempting, what can you do with all your 4K UHD Blurays? Buy a player, that's what.