The Lumia 640 is a mid-range, affordable Windows Phone announced by Microsoft on March 2, 2015 at Mobile World Congress. The Lumia 640 was co-announced by Microsoft with the Lumia 640 XL, a similar device with a larger display and beefier cameras.
The Lumia 640 features a 5-inch 1280 x 720 (HD) display, up from the 4.5-inch 854 x 480 one of the Lumia 635. The Lumia 640 brings back the Glance Screen, which was omitted from the Lumia 630 (3G) and Lumia 635 (LTE).
Perhaps the biggest improvements around found in the front-facing camera (it now has one at 1MP), an 8 MP rear camera (up from 5 MP) and ambient light and proximity sensors.
Additionally, Microsoft is including a one-year subscription to Office 365 Personal, which can be used on a PC, Mac, or tablet. This offer is in addition to the Office suite included on the Lumia 640.
The Lumia 640 comes in dual-SIM 3G and dual-SIM LTE versions, depending on the market. This Lumia is the first dual-SIM LTE phone for Microsoft.
Pricing is expected to be around $180 USD (159 euros) for the dual-SIM LTE version while the dual-SIM 3G should retail for $155 USD (139 euros). The phone should be available worldwide starting in April, 2015.
Lumia 640 Specifications
- Windows Phone 8.1 with Lumia Denim
- Windows 10 Ready
- Colors: Glossy cyan, orange and white, as well as matte black
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 400 (MSM8926), 1.2 GHz quad-core processor
- 5" HD (1280x720, 16:9) IPS LCD, 294 PPI, Glance screen, Corning Gorilla Glass 3, Sunlight readability enhancements
- 1GB RAM
- 8 GB internal mass memory + up to 128 GB Micro SD & 30GB free OneDrive cloud storage
- Rear camera: 8 MP AF (3280x2464), f/2.2, 28 mm, 1080p @ 30 fps video (continuous autofocus), Flash: LED, Lumia Camera 5.0 (with Dynamic Flash, HDR)
- Front camera: HD 1 MP wide angle, f/2.4, 720p video
- Connectivity: BT 4.0, microUSB2.0, Micro SIM, A-GPS+GLONASS, BeiDou, DLNA, Screen cloning with Miracast, WLAN 802.11 b/g/n/
- Sensors: Accelerometer, Magnetometer, Proximity, Ambient Light Sensor
- Battery: 2500 mAh (BV-T5C) removable battery
- Weight: 145 g
- Size: 141.3 x 72.2 x 8.85 mm
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.