What you need to know
- Microsoft Defender ATP is now in open preview for IT professionals to check out.
- The cross-platform support allows IT pros to manage Macs with a similar interface to Microsoft Defender ATP on Windows.
- Microsoft Defender ATP can be enabled by customers who have turned on preview features in the oboarding section of Microsoft Defender Security Center, Microsoft says.
Microsoft this week announced that Microsoft Defender ATP for Mac is now in open public preview. The threat management solution first launched in a limited preview in March, and it allows IT pros to manage Mac devices alongside their Windows deployments from a similar user interface.
Microsoft Defender ATP can be installed on Macs running MacOS Mojave, High Sierra, and Sierra. Macs with the app installed will be able to use it to run full malware scans, review threats that have been detected, and take action on threats. More advanced settings include:
- Disabling or enabling real-time protection, cloud-delivered protection, and automatic sample submission
- Adding exclusions for files and paths
- Managing notifications when threats are found
- Manually checking for security intelligence updates
Further, when any machines detect an issue, IT managers will be able to the alerts in the Microsoft Defender ATP portal and dive deeper into detailed information about each detection.
Microsoft Defender ATP for Mac can be turned on for customers who have enabled preview features through the Microsoft Defender Security Center.
Cheap PC accessories we love
Take a gander at these awesome PC accessories, all of which will enhance your Windows experience.
Anker 4 port USB 3.0 hub ($10 at Amazon)
Whether on a desktop or laptop PC, you always need more ports to connect things to. This hub gives you an additional four USB 3.0 Type A ports.
Ikea Fixa Cable Management System ($11 at Amazon)
This IKEA cable management kit is your ticket to a clean setup. It's simple and functional.
NZXT Puck ($20 at Amazon)
This clever little accessory has powerful magnets on the rear to make it stick to any of the metal panels on your PC case or anything else. It's great for hanging accessories like headsets.
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.