What you need to know
- Microsoft Edge has a new release for people in the Dev channel.
- This is the final release for Edge Insiders this year, except for those on the Canary channel.
- The new build includes several new features, including an option to disable downloading Edge updates over metered connections.
Microsoft released build 89.0.731.0 of Microsoft Edge to Insiders in the Dev channel. This is the final build of the browser for Insiders in the Dev, Beta, and Stable channels this year. Canary builds of Microsoft Edge will continue throughout the holidays. The new build available through the Dev channel includes several new features, including an option to disable downloading Edge updates over metered connections.
Here are the new features in the build, as found in a recent techcommunity post:
- Added an indicator to show when a tab has been muted because the underlying system audio has been muted.
- Added an option to Settings to disable downloading Edge updates over metered connections. Note that this is currently only available on Windows 10.
- Added a Setting to disable the F12 entry point to the Dev Tools.
- Added support for forcing popup windows into new tabs instead in Kiosk mode.
- Enabled support for the management policies from Chromium to Enable Basic Auth Over HTTP, and that Target Blank Implies No Opener.
The build also includes a lengthy list of changed behaviors:
- Added a delay to the Shy UI between when the mouse leaves it and when it disappears.
- Fixed an issue where items can't be added to Collections when using Immersive Reader.
- Fixed an issue where closing a tab sometimes causes a gap between the rest of the tabs and the new tab button.
- Fixed an issue on Mac where Edge sometimes takes over the screen when an update notification is shown.
- Fixed an issue where the option to always translate a page sometimes doesn't work.
- Fixed an issue where selecting a password in the autofill flyout sometimes puts the wrong password in the field when multiple passwords are available.
- Fixed an issue where the Coupons prompt appears in the Address Bar, but no comparisons are shown in the flyout.
- Fixed an issue where text notes on PDFs sometimes can't be dragged to another position.
- Fixed an issue where the profile picture in Settings is sometimes broken.
- Fixed an issue where opening the Favorites or history menu when their buttons are hidden from the toolbar sometimes causes the buttons to stay on the toolbar.
- Fixed an issue where Edge's update status in Settings sometimes isn't shown on Linux.
- Deprecated the management policy to Allow Popups During Page Unload.
- Obsoleted the management policies to Send Site Info To Improve Services and Enable Metrics Reporting as they have been replaced by the policies for Diagnostic Data and to Allow Telemetry, as well as to Force the Legacy Default Referrer Policy.
While this is the last release to the Dev channel for the year, Microsoft notes that it might release some small fixes if needed.
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.