What you need to know
- Microsoft Edge and Dev now have an option to pick up where you left off on PDFs.
- When you reopen a file, the feature returns to where you stopped reading.
- Some people may not see the option at this time, even on Edge Dev and Canary.
Microsoft Edge Dev and Canary have a new feature in testing that makes it easier to read PDFs. As spotted by Leo Varela on Reddit, both versions of Edge now support "Pick up where you left off on PDF documents." This feature lets you return to the exact spot you were at on a PDF before closing the browser.
You can find the option for PDF view settings inside the Cookies and site permissions section of the browser's settings page:
- Open Edge Dev or Canary (you likely have to update to the latest version of either browser).
- Click the "…" menu in the upper-right corner of the browser.
- Select Settings.
- Select Cookies and site permissions.
- Select PDF documents.
- Toggle PDF view settings to your preference.
The option is rather straightforward, but it should be a welcome addition for people that use Edge to browse through documents. Many people leave Edge as the default PDF viewer on Windows, so any improvements to it affect a large number of users.
Several people see the option for PDF view settings at the moment, but it may be rolling out in stages. I am on the latest version of Edge Canary but do not see the toggle within my browser's settings page.
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.