What you need to know
- Microsoft backported Windows Subsystem for Linux 2 to older Windows 10 versions.
- Windows 10 versions 1909 and 1903 can now use WSL 2 distros.
- The update is available to install now via Windows Update.
Windows 10 version 2004 is no longer a necessary upgrade if you want to take advantage of the Windows Subsystem for Linux 2 (WSL 2). Microsoft announced this week (via ZDNet) that WSL 2 has been backported to older Windows 10 versions. Specifically, Windows 10 versions 1903 and 1909 can now take advantage of WSL 2.
"We heard how much you liked WSL 2 and wanted to expand its accessibility, and over the last few months we worked on bringing it back to 1903 and 1909," Microsoft said in its announcement. As pointed out by Microsoft, WSL 2 has several improvements over WSL 1:
- File system performance now on par with Mac and Linux speeds
- Improved System Call Support for all Linux applications notably: Docker, FUSE, rsync, etc.
- Full Linux kernel built into WSL 2
- Docker Desktop has added support to use WSL 2 as its engine, giving faster startup speeds and improved resource usage.
For now, WSL 2 on versions 1909 and 1903 is only available for x64 systems. ARM64 users will have to upgrade to Windows 10 version 2004 for full access.
The backport should be available via Windows Update. You can check whether you have WSL 2 by viewing your Windows 10 build number. Look for minor version 1049 as the last four digits in your build number to verify.
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.
Check out they new HyperX Cloud Revolver + 7.1 gaming headset
This new headset from HyperX complements its Cloud Revolver lineup. It's a high-end option with virtual 7.1 surround sound and robust audio.
Review: Twin Mirror, the first self-published game from Dontnod, is a miss
Twin Mirror follows the standard Dontnod formula with some twists, but it ultimately fails because of its lackluster and selfish lead character.
NVIDIA's $399 RTX 3060 Ti is here, and it demolishes the RTX 2080 SUPER
NVIDIA has unveiled the latest product in the RTX 30 series, the RTX 3060 Ti. The GPU will go on sale starting December 2 for just $399, and it is faster than the $699 RTX 2080 SUPER.
These are the best PC sticks for when you're on the move
Instant computer, just add a screen! That’s the general idea of the ultra-portable PC Compute Sticks, but it can be hard to know which one you want. Relax, we’ve got you covered.