What you need to know
- Minecraft is releasing a new beta, 18.104.22.168 to enrolled testers that includes new bug fixes and tweaks.
- Also included is some new 'Caves and Cliffs Update' features as part of Minecraft's "Experimental Features" toggle.
- This beta adds the glow squid, which is the mob that won the Mob Vote at Minecraft Live.
- Glow squid, well, glow, and drop glow ink sacks that can be used to craft illuminated item frames.
Minecraft is dropping a new beta today for the Bedrock Edition, which adds a few more "Experimental Features" from the Caves and Cliffs Update. That's right, players enrolled in the beta program can install Minecraft Beta 22.214.171.124 right now and test out the latest mob to join Minecraft: the glow squid.
In case you forgot, the glow squid is the mob that won the fateful Mob Vote during last year's Minecraft Live event, and therefore is going to be added to the game through the upcoming Caves and Cliffs Update. Apart from its titular purpose of being awfully bright, the glow squid drops glow ink sacs when killed, which can be used to craft new illuminated item frames for some nighttime bragging.
While possibly not as exciting as the recent Minecraft: Java Edition snapshot, big things should be coming to Minecraft: Bedrock Edition in the near future.
The full changelog for Minecraft: Bedrock Edition Beta 126.96.36.199 includes:
- Glow squid do not spawn naturally in the world yet, but can be spawned using a spawn egg
- When killed, glow squid will drop glow ink sacs\
Glow item frame
- Craft a glow item frame by combining a glow ink sac with an item frame in a crafting table. Any item in a glow item frame is perfectly illuminated, even at night!
- Players can now use dye to colour sign text
- Use a glow ink sac on signs to make the text glow!
- Use a regular ink sac to remove the glow effect
- As of version 1.16.200, ray tracing is now available on Windows 10 devices with compatible hardware. If you were enrolled in the RTX beta, you are now enrolled in the standard Minecraft beta and will continue to receive the latest beta version, including ray tracing features
- The screen reader now announces the names of the A / B Button Swap and X / Y Button Swap options correctly
- Fixed an issue where the screen reader would intermittently fail to announce some button names
Performance & stability
- Fixed a number of crashes that could occur during gameplay
- Fixed a crash that could occur when leaving a world
- Fixed a crash that occasionally occurred on dedicated servers around villages
- Fixed a crashing issue related to corrupted biomes during world load for various Marketplace worlds
- Command blocks no longer censor numbers
- Fixed inability to resume mining with touch controls after being interrupted
- Fixed an issue where crafting a bed with the recipe book unlocked the "Change of Sheets" trophy
- Minecarts now properly update their effects (looping sound, player coordinates) when the minecart is not being rendered for the rider
- Fixed Skin Preview navigation when using a controller
- Fixed arrows getting stuck in the air after hitting a player with high latency
- Fixed template tabs overlapping in Create New menu
- Fixed missing Incompatible button on the Marketplace Inventory screen
- Fixed an issue that allowed in-game patch notes to show more than once
- Fixed some interface issues with scrolling and clearing store filters
- Fog once again correctly displays in the Nether
Cloud storage (Xbox)
- Resolved an issue where, in certain cases, a world could not be properly synced to the cloud (Xbox only). If you are having trouble syncing worlds, please try opening the world on the original Xbox, save/quit, then wait a few moments while the world is re-synced into the cloud
Technical fixes & changes
- Fixed an issue with animating structures when chunks were unloaded and the animation not continuing
- Attachable items created in 1.16.2 and before will not render for their player in first person. Attachable items created after 1.16.2 will render for their player in first person unless they are armor
- Custom blocks now can only drop default state when broken, even with Silk Touch
- Fixed validation of
render_offsetas string in component item JSON schema
/schedulecommand will once again execute from the entity it originated from if the area was already loaded
Every Minecraft fan should consider something off our list of Best Minecraft Merch, Toys, and Gifts for something awesome for themselves or a loved one in their life.
A gaming masterpiece
Available everywhere you play.
Minecraft is an inarguable and complete success. It has sold copies in the hundreds of millions, has a huge following of dedicated players, and lets you unlock your every creative desire. It's also available on every platform imaginable, including Xbox One, Windows 10, Playstation 4, and Nintendo Switch. Play with anyone, and play anywhere.
Zachary Boddy is the Minecraft Expert and a News Writer for Windows Central, Android Central, and iMore. They have been gaming and writing for most of their life, and have been freelancing for Windows Central and its sister sites since 2019, with a focus on Xbox and PC gaming. You can find Zachary on Twitter @BoddyZachary.
Get the best of Windows Central in in your inbox, every day!
Thank you for signing up to Windows Central. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.