What you need to know
- Minecraft Dungeons is nearing its first anniversary, and it has been almost six months since the addition of cross-play.
- Players have eagerly waited that entire time for Mojang Studios to release cross-save to preserve progression across platforms finally.
- Today, we finally get our wish granted with the addition of cloud-enabled cross-save in Minecraft Dungeons throughout today.
- Using your Microsoft Account, you will be able to carry characters and progression through Minecraft Dungeons on Xbox, PlayStation, PC, and Switch.
We are nearing the one-year anniversary of Minecraft Dungeons, the action-RPG spin-off of Minecraft. During this time, Minecraft Dungeons has received multiple updates and DLC, culminating in the recently released (and massive) Flames of the Nether DLC, to add new features and greatly improve the game over time. One thing that has been sorely missing since launch, however, is cross-save support. After nearly 12 months of waiting (almost 6 months after Minecraft Dungeons officially added cross-play support and promised cross-save, we're finally getting cross-save support in Minecraft Dungeons.
Today, Mojang Studios and Double Eleven are finally rolling out the update that officially enables cloud-powered cross-saves in Minecraft Dungeons at some point today. Powered by the same Microsoft Account you use to take advantage of cross-play to join your friends, cross-saves let you carry your characters and all of their progression across every platform Minecraft Dungeons is available. Yes, this includes Xbox Series X, Xbox Series S, Xbox One, Xbox Game Pass, PS5, PS4, PC, and Switch. This does not include purchases, however, like the Minecraft Dungeons Season Pass.
Minecraft Dungeons players have been waiting for cross-save support to arrive for a long time now, and at times the omission has been frustrating. We discussed this and more in our overview of Mojang Studios and how it sometimes feels like an underfunded indie studio.
Now with cross-save support, Minecraft Dungeons fully feels like the game it could've been at launch. With all of the post-launch support the game has received, it's absolutely one of the best games on Xbox and one of the best games on Xbox Game Pass. If you hadn't checked out Mojang Studios' experimental expansion of the Minecraft franchise yet, it's certainly worth your time. Now with cross-save, you can worry even less about losing any of your progression if you play on more than one platform.
Cross-save support comes in Minecraft Dungeons Patch Update 126.96.36.199, which also includes a small handful of other bug fixes and tweaks. The full changelog for Minecraft Dungeons 188.8.131.52 includes:
- The long-awaited Cloud Saves feature is now available in Minecraft Dungeons! With this update, you can now save your progress to the cloud, so you can pick up and play your Heroes across Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4, Windows PC, Xbox One, and Xbox Series X|S
- Introducing localization support for Simplified Chinese and Traditional Chinese text and voice overs for all platforms
- Improved the font used on platforms that already had Chinese localization
- Fixed one of the top crashes that could occur during gameplay
- Fixed a crash that could occur after a second lobby was created during a single session
- Fixed a crash that could occur when standing in Piglin Fungus Thrower clouds
- Fixed items permanently falling off edges on certain tiles in Ancient Hunts
- The Emote Wheel is no longer accessible in local co-op
- Fixed players not being able to join online sessions after creating a new character
- Fixed a soft lock that could occur when opening settings after viewing the friend list
- The main menu can no longer be unintentionally navigated while using the account login prompts
- Fixed text running off the screen in several languages on various menu screens
- The prompt displayed upon disconnecting a controller is now fully translated across all supported languages
- Clarified the descriptions of several enchantment effects (New wording in bold):
- Critical Hit
- Gives critical hit chance
- X mob speed
- Has a X chance to spawn a circular area that heals you and all allies within the area
- X mob damage
- Radiance Shot
- Has a X chance to spawn a circular area that heals** you and** all allies within the area
- Cooldown Shot
- X artifact cooldown
- Cool Down
- X artifact cooldown
- X mob speed
- X attack speed
- While you are at less than X health, your melee and ranged attack speeds are increased
- X roll cooldown
- Beast Boss
- +X pet damage
- Beast Surge
- +X pet speed
The next era of Dungeons
Explore new worlds in Minecraft Dungeons.
It's been a busy first year for Minecraft Dungeons, and now the ARPG dungeon-crawling Minecraft spin-off is looking ahead towards its future, with four new expansions planned. The first two, Howling Peaks and Flames of the Nether, are available right now, but players can also grab the new Season Pass to gain immediate access to all four expansions as soon as they launch.
Get the Windows Central Newsletter
All the latest news, reviews, and guides for Windows and Xbox diehards.
Zachary Boddy (They / Them) is a Staff Writer for Windows Central, primarily focused on covering the latest news in tech and gaming, the best Xbox and PC games, and the most interesting Windows and Xbox hardware. They have been gaming and writing for most of their life starting with the original Xbox, and started out as a freelancer for Windows Central and its sister sites in 2019. Now a full-fledged Staff Writer, Zachary has expanded from only writing about all things Minecraft to covering practically everything on which Windows Central is an expert, especially when it comes to Microsoft. You can find Zachary on Twitter @BoddyZachary.