What you need to know
- Minecraft is working on its next major update, the 'Caves and Cliffs Update' coming next year.
- Minecraft: Java Edition, the legacy PC version of Minecraft, has slowly been testing new features in snapshots.
- The latest snapshot adds a brand-new Caves and Cliffs Update feature in the form of the dripstone block.
- The 20w48a snapshot is available right now, with the new dripstone block available in Creative Mode.
The next major release for Minecraft was revealed at Minecraft Live as the positively humungous Caves and Cliffs Update, which is slated to release sometime in Summer 2021. The long road to Caves and Cliffs has already begun, with a trickle of features being tested in betas and snapshots. The latest is Snapshot 20w48a, which adds the fancy new dripstone block to Minecraft: Java Edition. This allows for the creation of stalagmites and stalactites in Minecraft's caves.
Dripstones won't be available naturally in the world, but you can still find them in Creative Mode and take a look at what they can do. Dripstone blocks will slowly, well, drip, forming stalagmites if they're placed on the floor or stalactites if they're placed on the ceiling. They can drip water or lava, hurt quite a bit if you happen to run into them (or are smacked in the head with one), and you can even use them as a rather terrible faucet to fill cauldrons with. The snapshot is available right now for testing with Minecraft: Java Edition.
If you want to play Minecraft: Java Edition, you'll need a half-decent gaming rig to get the job done. Consider one of the Best Pre-Built PCs for Minecraft or one of the Best Laptops for Minecraft. If you're already set-up with the ultimate Minecraft rig, consider some of the Best Minecraft Merch to show off your love for the game.
The full changelog for Snapshot 20w48a includes:
- Added dripstone blocks and pointed dripstone
- Forms a stalactite if placed on the ceiling or a stalagmite if placed on the floor
- Can be combined to form longer stalactites & stalagmites
- Stalagmites break if not attached to something below
- Landing or jumping on a stalagmite hurts! They are sharp
- Stalactites fall down if not attached to something above
- Being hit by falling stalactite hurts! They are sharp
- Stalactites drip water (or lava if there is lava above the ceiling)
- A stalactite with a water source above the ceiling will gradually fill a cauldron below with water
- A stalactite with a lava source above the ceiling will fill a cauldron below with lava after a while
- Thrown tridents break pointed dripstone
- Right-clicking a bundle in the inventory now empties one item from the bundle
- Using a bundle now throws out its entire content into the world
- Advanced tooltips now show how full a bundle is
- Candles can now only be placed if there is a solid surface below
- Wearing any piece of leather armour now prevents freezing entirely
- Changed textures for amethysts, candles, clocks and compasses
game rule that allows players to toggle whether powder snow causes freeze damage or not
- Lava and water are completely transparent at certain height levels
- Swimming and doing certain actions make the player look very odd / does not have animations for swimming + doing certain actions
- World border does not render below y=0 / above y=255
- Spyglass animation is wrong when swimming
- Spyglass wobbles when walking while in use
- Weird Hand animation when attacking and using spyglass at the same time
- Items inside of a bundle disappear if you empty the bundle in the inventory when in Creative mode while the inventory is full
- The elder guardian particle moves when an elder guardian moves
- Inconsistency: Crafting copper blocks into slabs only yields 4 slabs instead of 6
- Using a spyglass while gliding with an elytra points the spyglass down in third person view
- Full leather armour does not prevent freezing damage
- Powdered snow doesn't give you frozen effect in creative mode
- Snow Ambient Effect sometimes don't show correctly on the edge of a Powder Snow Block
- Compass with nothing to point to will spin very rapidly when in bundle.
- Creating a map from an empty map no longer plays a sound
- Cannot manipulate
- Chest closing sounds desynced with closing animations
- Item modifiers that change the item type don't work on entities
- The Fabulous graphics warning is shown at the wrong time
- The 'Include entities' option in the structure block UI is the opposite of the actual behavior
- TNT flashes are translucent once again
- Item modifiers that change the count to 0 don't completely remove the item
/itemmodify doesn't visually update the model of an item in an item frame
A gaming masterpiece
Available everywhere you play.
Minecraft is an inarguable and complete success. It has sold copies in the hundreds of millions, has a huge following of dedicated players, and lets you unlock your every creative desire. It's also available on every platform imaginable, including Xbox One, Windows 10, Playstation 4, and Nintendo Switch. Play with anyone, and play anywhere.
Get the Windows Central Newsletter
All the latest news, reviews, and guides for Windows and Xbox diehards.
Zachary Boddy (They / Them) is a Staff Writer for Windows Central, primarily focused on covering the latest news in tech and gaming, the best Xbox and PC games, and the most interesting Windows and Xbox hardware. They have been gaming and writing for most of their life starting with the original Xbox, and started out as a freelancer for Windows Central and its sister sites in 2019. Now a full-fledged Staff Writer, Zachary has expanded from only writing about all things Minecraft to covering practically everything on which Windows Central is an expert, especially when it comes to Microsoft. You can find Zachary on Twitter @BoddyZachary.