What you need to know
- Apex Legends is getting another patch next week with quality-of-life improvements.
- The update focuses on audio issues, hit detection, and crashes.
- It's unclear when it'll launch next week, but the patch notes have been released.
Apex Legends is a free-to-play battle royale game that has garnered tremendous popularity in recent months. Unfortunately, the process hasn't been that smooth, and Respawn Entertainment has been criticized for its poor communication, cheating problems, and other issues.
While the team is working on the larger problems, the developer recently released patch notes for the "May Performance Update 1.1.3," which brings many quality-of-life improvements. It's scheduled to go live early next week on Xbox One and other platforms. You can read about some of the major changes below.
- One of the biggest issues... was improving the audio performance to address reports of sounds dropping out, missing sounds for an extended duration, or distortion for a period of time. Respawn has made improvements that will hopefully fix these issues.
- The team will continue to monitor mix issues and address them as necessary.
- Improved audio engine to be around thirty percent more efficient, lessening the chance of distortion or dropouts.
- Lowered impact on data loading through code and content changes to improve potential dropout issues.
- Increased the volume of close proximity enemy footsteps.
- Increased the priority of enemy footsteps to ensure the sounds play even in heavy combat situations.
- Fixed missing or quiet dryfire and low ammo sounds for select weapons.
- Added more detailed audio to the training mission.
- This patch should eliminate many cases of incorrect hit registration.
- Hit detection bugs may be a result of internet connection problems.
- Icons are now pickier about your connection quality and may show up more frequently.
- Lowering the clock speed on Intel-based computers fixes a lot of crashes.
- Respawn has notified Intel about the issue.
- This patch includes a workaround to avoid the crashing at your original clock speeds.
You can read the complete patch notes on EA's website.
Hopefully this patch will show substantial improvements for many gamers. Once you download it next week, you should let us know if it worked or if you're still encountering a number of audio, crashing, and hit-detection issues.
The main game
The latest free-to-play battle royale game
Apex Legends is the latest in the battle royale craze using a free-to-play model. With excellent squad-based gameplay, fast action, great-looking visuals, and now over 50 million players, Apex Legends is fast becoming a battle royale game to beat.
Excellent and affordable Xbox accessories
Up your Xbox experience with one (or all) of these budget accessories, all of which are approved by the gamers of Windows Central.
PowerA Play & Charge Kit for Xbox One ($15 at Amazon)
This charging kit keeps your Xbox One wireless controllers juiced up, and it offers batteries for two controllers. At just $15, this is hands-down our favorite budget charging companion.
ElecGear 4 Port USB Xbox One S Hub ($19 at Amazon)
This brilliant little USB splitter hub attaches perfectly to the side of your Xbox One S console. It's ideal for use with chargers, controllers, headsets, and more.
Controller Gear stand ($13 at Amazon)
Proudly display your Xbox gamepads with this stylish and functional stand. The licensed design is minimalist and black, and it has a hidden storage compartment, making the price of $13 a real steal.
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.
Update 6: Microsoft wants all of TikTok, but Trump's order may interfere
The Financial Times reports that as part of negotiations, Microsoft is now inquiring whether it can buy all of TikTok, instead of just the business in the US., Canada, Australia, and New Zealand. This new plan would include India and Europe (and excluding China).
Surface Duo and double Dans take over this week's Android Central podcast
Need even more Surface Duo in your life? Check out the latest Android Central podcast, in which Daniel Rubino and Daniel Bader (double the Dans!) discuss Surface Duo, Microsoft's Samsung love affair, and Project xCloud.
This is the best Windows 10 tablet you can buy right now
There are many Windows 10 tablets on the market, but it's hard to sort through the rubbish. Here's our picks for the best Windows 10 tablets you can buy right now. At the top of our list is the Surface Pro X, which we think is the best due to its ARM processor, large display, and thin form factor while still packing good battery life and excellent performance.
These are the best gaming laptops for Apex Legends
Gaming laptops are an awesome product category because they give an all-in-one experience. Sure, they're often less powerful than their desktop counterparts, but that's the trade-off. If you're looking for a new one and Apex Legends is on your list of favorite games to play, then here are our picks for some of the best.