New Final Fantasy XV expansions get early 2019 release window [updated]
There's a lot more Final Fantasy XV content on the horizon.
Many months ago, Dengeki Online sat down with a few members from the Final Fantasy XV development team to discuss the future of the game. During this interview, it was revealed that the title would receive four more expansions over the course of the next year or so. Tabata said, "After thinking with the team about with what kind of content we want to finish this game with, we decided to make it four new episodes."
Updated March 11, 2018: The original release window was earlier than 2019. We've updated our information based on what was said by Square Enix at PAX East 2018. The publisher initially said that the expansions would launch in 2018 and go into 2019, but it seems like they were pushed back.
During PAX East 2018, Square Enix hosted a few panels in which the publisher revealed new information. The company said that the four episode will focus on "a future everyone longed for". According to a report by TrueAchievements, the content will feature an alternate finale and will be known as "The Dawn of the Future".
The first of these new episodes about Ardyn will launch in early 2019. The remaining will launch throughout Spring 2019.
- Episode I: The Conflict of the Sage - Ardyn
- This story portrays the struggles of Ardyn. Witness the resentment he harbored towards Lucis for over 2,000 years, and his clashes with the Astrals.
- Episode Side Story: The Beginning of the End - Aranea
- A short story about the Starscourge depicted from the Niflheim's perspective. The final day of the Empire turns out to be Aranea's worst day.
- Episode II: The Choice of Freedom - Lunafreya
- This expansion revolves around Luna's fate, which not even death can free her from. Her battle to save the one she loves is the focus here.
- Episode III: The Final Strike - Noctis
- Parting ways with the Astrals, Noctis embarks upon his final battle in order to attain the ideal future for his people.
Hopefully the expansions will live up to expectations. However, given the legacy of a franchise like Final Fantasy, the studio should spend enough time to get them right. New features like a level editor are also planned for the Windows Edition of Final Fantasy XV.
If you haven't played Final Fantasy XV yet, the game features captivating characters, stunning visuals, open-world exploration, and real-time combat. Be sure to check it out at retailers if you like Japanese role-playing games.
Keep an eye on WindowsCentral.com/Gaming for all the latest in Xbox and Windows 10 gaming, accessories, news, and reviews!
Get the Windows Central Newsletter
All the latest news, reviews, and guides for Windows and Xbox diehards.
Asher Madan handles gaming news for Windows Central. Before joining Windows Central in 2017, Asher worked for a number of different gaming outlets. He has a background in medical science and is passionate about all forms of entertainment, cooking, and antiquing.