What you need to know
- Microsoft's SIP Gateway allows compatible SIP phones to work with Teams Phone.
- The gateway supports making and receiving calls, meeting dial-in and dial-out, and other core functionality.
- Select devices from Cisco, Poly, Yealink, and AudioCodes work with the SIP Gateway.
Microsoft has a new service that allows organizations to use the core functionality of Teams Phone on legacy hardware. The SIP Gateway lets certain phones from Cisco, Poly, Yealink, and AudioCodes make calls, transfer calls, and utilize other functionality.
SIP, which is short for session initiation protocol, can be used to integrate email, web, live chat, and other capabilities with devices.
Through the SIP Gateway, older hardware from some of the biggest names in the phone industry can work with Microsoft Teams.
Microsoft MVP Roberto Ferazzi shared a photo of the feature in action.
The following features are currently supported through the SIP Gateway:
- Inbound and outbound calls
- Call transfer
- Meeting dial-in and dial-out
- Device-based "do not disturb"
- Voicemail with message waiting indicator
There's no additional cost to use the SIP Gateway if an organization has a license that includes Teams Phone. There are, however, some requirements, which are outlined by Microsoft:
- Users must be licensed for Teams Phone (via any Office 365 E5, Microsoft 365 license that includes Teams Phone, or as a standalone license)
- PSTN enablement (i.e., phone number assigned) via a Microsoft Teams Calling Plan, Direct Routing, or Operator Connect
- Common area devices require a Common Area Phone license
Microsoft outlines the steps to enable and manage the SIP Gateway in a Tech Community post.
Microsoft is moving away from the 3PIP Gateway that allows Skype for Business phones to sign into Teams. While 3PIP will continue to work for this case past 2023, Microsoft explains that there aren't any new investments planned for the 3PIP Gateway. Instead, phones that utilize 3PIP will eventually switch over to using the SIP Gateway.
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.