Earlier this month Microsoft dropped a new update on Xbox One consoles, for those enrolled in the Alpha Preview ring of the Xbox Insider Program. Delivering a new wave of changes, the build added several new in-progress features, including "Next Achievements" and "Mini Game Hubs."
A second Xbox One "1802" build has been announced for Insiders, delivering more features to the program's bleeding edge update ring. This update contains two new additions, alongside several bug fixes, ahead of a planned release to further rings in the future.
Updated, January 14, 2018: Experiencing issues with today's Alpha ring update? You're not the only one. Xbox Insider Program lead, Brad Rossetti, has taken to Twitter to clarify that today's update issues are linked to "bad services in one data center." These are being taken offline, which may result in a delayed rollout.
Easily the biggest addition of this update is "Scheduled Themes" – a new feature that allows users to schedule an automatic shift in the console's color theme. When enabled, users can set times for the operating system to shift between the default "Dark theme" and the "Light theme" added in last year's fall update.
This build will also implement a new "Game Pass Discovery" tile to Xbox Guide menu, which randomly selects a title from the Xbox Game Pass library. Hooking directly into Microsoft's Netflix-style subscription service for Xbox games, this will provide an easy way to explore the full spectrum of its offerings.
Today's update will begin rolling out a little earlier than usual, from 2 PM PT / 5 PM ET on January 14. For those who use the Xbox One's "Instant On" mode, the update will begin automatically downloading to your console. If you choose to manually install the build, navigate to "All Settings > System > Console Info & Updates" and check for an update. Read on for the complete list of changes, fixes, and currently known issues, via Microsoft's changelog.
OS version released: rs3_release_xbox_dev_1802.180109-1916
Available: 2:00PM PST 1/14/18 (10:00PM GMT 14/1)
You asked—we listened! We're excited to announce that we've added the ability to put your themes on a schedule. In addition to choosing either the light or dark theme, you can now schedule a time to automatically switch between them. Simply follow these steps:
- Navigate to Settings > Personalization > Theme & motion.
- Select Scheduled from the "System theme" dropdown.
- Select the times at which you want the light theme to start and end.
A new icon will appear in the Guide. The Guide Game Pass Discovery Tile (the "Surprise me with a random Game Pass Game tile"), now shows in Guide.
- Fixed an issue which sometimes caused screenshots to fail to display in Report a problem or on the console.
- Party chat is now fixed to not crash when in the Guide.
My Games and Apps
- When downloading and installing games the progress bar and the percentage complete are not in sync and show inaccurate data. The games and apps do install correctly.
- Background screenshots are showing up as 4:3 format rather than 16:9
- We are aware of the Guide and Home crashing and determined the root cause. A fix is being worked on. Workaround: In the interim please HARD Reboot (Hold the power button for ten seconds)the console to fix this issue.
- You may encounter an E105 error when the console starts up after downloading the system update. Workaround: Select the Repair option, and the issue should resolve after rebooting the console.
- Games that are installed fail to launch. Workaround: If the games are installed to an external drive please copy the game to the internal drive or attempt to delete the title and redownload to fix the launch error.
- We are investigating the inaccurate RGB colors that have been reported when displaying in 4K HDR mode when playing a UHD disc.
- The left and right navigation for selecting date and time during Tournament creation is currently reversed when the console language is set to Arabic or Hebrew.
- Left and right navigation in Tournament twists is reversed when the console language is set to Arabic or Hebrew.
- Left and right navigation in the bracket view of Tournaments is reversed when the console language is set to Arabic or Hebrew
Avatars on Home
- Users wishing to represent themselves as an avatar can do so by changing their settings under My profile > Customize profile > Show my avatar.
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.
Outlook.com still down following Microsoft 365 outage
If you've hit a snag signing into Microsoft 365 services today, you're not alone. Though the Microsoft 365 outage appears to be on the mend, Outlook.com is still down according to Microsoft's Office service status.
Everything we know about Halo Infinite (so far)
Everything we know about Halo Infinite – Master Chief’s next big adventure headed to Xbox Series X, Xbox One, and PC.
Surface Duo bumpers in graphite, ember, and ice colors now available
If you're looking to spice up your Surface Duo, these new official protective bumpers in blue, red, or dark grey should do the job. Unfortunately, at $40, you'll have to think long and hard at which color you want.
Finding Xbox One Wireless Controller replacement parts is easy
Here are all the replacement Xbox One controller parts you need for an easy fix.