It’s the second Tuesday of the month, which means it’s Patch Tuesday. Today is the day that Microsoft puts out updates for Windows and firmware updates for all the Surface devices. We’re looking at new updates for the Surface 2, Surface Pro and Surface Pro 2, but nothing for the original Surface.
Surface 2 – Release notes
- Marvell AVASTAR Bluetooth Radio Adapter (v14.62.28058.10171)
- Marvell AVASTAR 350N Wireless Network Controller (v14.62.28058.10171) resolves wireless network connectivity issues.
Today the Surface 2 is getting updates for both the Bluetooth radio adapter and the wireless network controller. You should see improvements in audio related issues when using Bluetooth. Additionally you should see issues resolved for Bluetooth mice and keyboards being unavailable when you wake the Surface 2.
Surface Pro – Release notes
- Surface Pro Embedded Controller Firmware (v9.00.50) to resolve behavior where the Surface would reset when waking from sleep.
- Surface Pro System Aggregator Firmware (v2.84.0150)
- Surface Pro UEFI (v1.6.50) improves experience when using a Surface Cover on your Surface Pro.
The honorable Surface Pro picks up some nice updates in this latest round of Patch Tuesday. You’ll notice various issues should be resolved. For example, the issue when the Surface Pro would reset after repeated Surface Cover attachment and detachment has been resolved. Another issue fixed is when the On Screen Keyboard would unexpectedly pop-up even though the Surface Cover was attached and when the Surface Cover wasn’t detected after waking the Surface Pro from sleep.
Surface Pro 2 –Release notes
- Surface Display Panel (v220.127.116.11) provides tuning to the Surface display calibration.
- Surface Pro Embedded Controller Firmware (v24.00.50)
- Surface Pro System Aggregator Firmware (v2.04.0150)
- Surface Touch Cover 2 Firmware Update Device (v18.104.22.168) update improves two-finger touchpad use.
- Surface Type Cover 2 Firmware Update Device (v22.214.171.124) update improves two-finger touchpad use.
The Surface Pro 2 picks up the most firmware updates this round. You get a display calibration with the latest update. In addition to fixes for when the Surface Pro 2 would not go into hibernation and when the available battery percentage was reported incorrectly. You’ll also get fixes for the Surface Cover like in the Surface Pro above.
Patch Tuesday isn’t all about Surface firmware fixes. There are literally millions of other non-Surface devices needing some update love. Which is also why they get super fun security updates today. You can head to TechNet to read the full Microsoft Security Bulletin Summary for February 2014. There isn’t anything too sexy in there, just updates to make sure nobody exploits vulnerabilities in Internet Explorer to allow remote code execution.
Apply the updates to your Surface 2, Surface Pro or Surface Pro 2? Sound off below if any of those issues are fixed for you.
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.
Microsoft Teams appears to be down right now
If you're having issues with Microsoft Teams this morning, you're not alone. The service appears to be having problems today, with Down Detector showing a huge spike in reported issues.
Should you buy Intel or AMD processors?
Choosing between AMD and Intel processors for desktop and laptop PCs isn't a challenge since most processors will be more than capable of handling standard computing tasks, but if you're after the best CPU for gaming or enthusiast use, this guide runs through the differences.
Microsoft seizes domains to stop coronavirus-themed phishing attacks
Microsoft seized URLs to be able to stop malicious phishing attacks. The attacks send out emails that appear to be coronavirus related but are actually ways to obtain people's account information.
Solid alternatives to the Surface Pen and Surface Slim Pen
The Surface Pen and Surface Slim Pen are great styli for the hardware that support them, but what if you didn't take to Microsoft's official pens and want an alternative? We rounded up some options to get you started.