If you’re like us, you’ve spent a good chunk of the day updating your PCs, tablets and Ultrabooks to the brand spanking new (and spectacular) Windows 8.1 OS. If you did, pat yourself on the back because we have a small, but cool, bonus for you troopers: The Windows Phone Central Live Tile.
Sure, it’s not our official RT app, which is still in the works (you can bug Jay about it), but as runner up you can use the new Internet Explorer 11 “pin to start” feature, which will give you four Tile sizes: small, medium, large or wide. The tile is also Live, pulling directly from our site—think of it as another cool way to keep up to date on your favorite Windows Phone and Microsoft news.
The Tile will update every 30 minutes, giving you a peek at what’s new on the site!
- Make sure IE11 is set as the default browser—at least to pin, you can always switch it later. To choose your default browser, just type in “default programs” on the Start screen and launch the settings.
- Launch IE11 in Metro mode (not desktop) and head to www.wpcentral.com
- Tap the Star icon (for favorites)
- Hit the Pin button
- Rename the Tile or just keep ‘WPCentral’
- Choose Tile size (you can always change it later)
And that’s it!
The tile should refresh with our direct news feed and depending on the size you chose, it will have a slightly different layout. Oh, and if you’re a fan of our other sites on Mobile Nations, including Android Central, iMore or CrackBerry, those too will be getting this feature soon!
Enjoy, from the Windows Phone Central team!
*If you’ve already been using the Live Tile, you should unpin and re-pin today as we switched from a slow RSS feed to a direct feed to our site
1. Hit the Favorites/Star button, then Pin icon
2. Select Title and Tile size
3. Move Tile to desired location, it should update with site feed every 30 mins
4. You can always resize the Tile later
Microsoft Surface Cyber Monday Deals: Surface Pro 7 down to $600
Microsoft's Surface lineup has grown by leaps and bounds over the years. Whether you're looking for the newest Surface Pro X or Pro 7 or are willing to settle for a previous generation at an even more discounted price, we've got all the best deals you're going to find around the 'net right here.
Need a new laptop to run VR? Here are the best devices out there now.
Using a laptop to power your VR system makes it easy to take it with you wherever you go. Not just any laptop is going to work for VR, though, so we rounded up your best options right here.
Join us LIVE for the Windows Central Video Podcast today at 2:30PM ET
We're LIVE with the Windows Central Video Podcast today at 2:30pm ET, make sure you're there!
Here are the best Minecraft Black Friday deals for $15 or less
If you're looking for great stocking stuffers or more affordable gifts, we dug around to find the best Minecraft Black Friday deals for $15 or less.