Sea of Thieves is getting another batch of content with the game's latest update, version 1.1.4. This update brings an end to the Skeleton Thrones event introduced with patch 1.1.2, but it introduces another skeletal threat, and this time they go boom.
As part of the appropriately titled Gunpowder Skeletons Event, players will have to fight off skeletons with powder kegs strapped to their backs. When fighting these skeletons, they'll rush towards you with their keg fuses lit with the intent of blowing you up with them. The Bilge Rats will now task players with defeating these explosive skeletons in various ways.
Completing gunpowder skeleton tasks for the Bilge Rats will reward you with commendations and doubloons, which you can then turn in for new cosmetics. You'll only have through July 10 to take part in the event, but you can net up to 150 Bilge Rat doubloons in the process.
- Gunpowder Skeletons Event – Carrying a gunpowder keg, skeletons can now rush towards you, light their fuse and... BOOM, off to the Ferry you go! The Bilge Rats are challenging all brave pirates to defeat them in various ways, some less conventional than others! Keep an ear perked for a burning fuse, and a finger on the trigger... good luck!
- Explosive Force - When detonated, gunpowder kegs now have the force to rock and push ships.
- Fuses - When holding a gunpowder keg, players can now light a five-second fuse by pressing the primary action button (Right Trigger on controller or left click on mouse).
- Bilge Rat Doubloons – Each Gunpowder Skeleton Commendation on the progress screen details the number of Bilge Rat Doubloons it rewards. Players have until the 10th of July to complete the Commendations and earn up to 150 Bilge Rat Doubloons.
- Bilge Rat Cosmetics – The Bone Crusher Sword, Pistol, Blunderbuss and Eye of Reach, priced at 15 Doubloons per item, are available until the 10th of July.
- Letters of Recommendation – Letters of Recommendation now grant a full level in the chosen Trading Company. Opting to spend your hard-earned Doubloons on reputation with the Trading Companies? This just got better!
- Bilge Rat Titles – Completing the Gunpowder Skeletons Commendations will unlock two new Pirate Titles. These titles will unlock straight into your Vanity Chest for maximum bragging rights.
Legendary Commendations - Legendary Commendation to earn an additional 50 Doubloons!
- These Legendary Commendations have been added based on player feedback requesting replayability.
Megalodon - Megalodon behaviours have been updated and improved.
- Skeleton Accuracy - Skeletons wielding a blunderbuss or pistol have had their accuracy reduced. This was tweaked due to player feedback.
- Joinable Status - Players can now make themselves unjoinable from the new Crew Management tab within Settings. This will mean that even friends can no longer join your session.
- Bilge Rat UI - The reputation summary and icon have been updated with improved visuals.
- Reduced client memory usage on PC.
- Improved network bandwidth usage which may in turn reduce latency experienced by players in busy scenarios.
- Improved server performance which will reduce latency for all players.
- Multiple server and client crash fixes.
- Further improvements and optimisations for all platforms are ongoing.
There are a number of bug fixes included in this build as well. As for the Skeleton Thrones, even though the event is over, they'll stick around in the game world for players to check out.
Sea of Thieves is set for another major content update in July with its next DLC pack, called Cursed Sails, which will unleash even more skeletal threats on the seas. If you have yet to dive in, Sea of Thieves is available as part of Microsoft' $9.99 per month Xbox Game Pass subscription service, or on its own for a standard price of $59.99. However, It can occasionally be found for cheaper, and it's currently on sale for 36.80 at Amazon
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.