It's 2019 — almost 2020 — and Bluetooth is everywhere.
Literally. It's in your phone, your car, likely lots of random smart-home gadgets sprinkled throughout your kitchen and living room. Those headphones the kid on the train is using next to you on your morning commute? Yep, Bluetooth. It's in your work PC, and all-around your office.
But what do you really know about Bluetooth?
Are you aware of the origin of what is actually a very odd name? How about when it was first introduced? Or how it became ubiquitous? And why do some devices that seem like they really should use Bluetooth still rely on those clunky wireless dongles?
At Windows Central, we decided to work with our sibling sites, Android Central and iMore, to answer these questions and a lot more. And because our sites are focused on technology platforms and ecosystems, we not only set out to answer the broader questions about Bluetooth and consumer technology, we dug into platform-specific stuff. We wrote up various tips and tricks related to Bluetooth, as well as help and how-tos to enable you to do more with your Bluetooth devices… or in some cases, just make them more reliable (or less frustrating).
We covered Bluetooth from the standpoint of an Average Jane who's not all that invested in technology. And we covered Bluetooth with the hardcore Android, Apple, and Windows users who visit our sites every day in mind. What we came up with is our 2019 Spotlight on Bluetooth. We had fun with this one, and every one of us learned a little something in the process. We hope you'll spend some time poking around and come away with a similar experience.
All our related stories can be found in the box below. Click around, see if there's anything that grabs your eye, and let us know what you think.
— Al Sacco, Windows Central managing editor
All 20 stories from our 2019 Spotlight on Bluetooth package, all in one place. Whether it's a spot of Bluetooth history, a bit of humor or wireless memery, or some thoughtful analysis on the future of the short-range tech, you'll find it right here, courtesy of the folks at Android Central, iMore and Windows Central.
- Introduction to our 2019 Spotlight on Bluetooth
- Where did the Bluetooth name and logo come from?
- A history of all the major Bluetooth releases and updates
- Where Bluetooth is headed, and the challenges it must overcome to get there
- Bluetooth 5: Is it actually better, and do you need it?
- Why Bluetooth is so great (and so terrible): A story told via memes
- Why the Bluetooth in your car sucks (and always will)
- 12 weird Bluetooth gadgets the Mobile Nations team uses every day
- 5 major Bluetooth milestones at Microsoft
- How to master Bluetooth on Windows 10
- Why Xbox One (still) doesn't use Bluetooth
- Why wireless gaming mice still use RF receivers instead of Bluetooth
- Windows Central staff's favorite Bluetooth gadgets right now
- A closer look at Google's Fast Pair technology and how it builds on Bluetooth
- Top tips for getting your Android devices to play nicely with Bluetooth
- Yes, Bluetooth sucks, but it was good enough to kill the headphone jack on phones
Apple and iOS
RLCraft turns Minecraft into a brutal survival game — and I'm addicted
Minecraft's Java Edition is home to many amazing mods and modpacks. RLCraft, a modpack organized by YouTuber Shivaxi, completely overhauls vanilla Minecraft and turns it into a brutally difficult, yet incredibly deep and nuanced survival experience.
Here are some new games you might see at the July 23rd Xbox Games Showcase
Fans have all eyes on Microsoft and their upcoming July 23rd Xbox Games Showcase event. Here are some of the major reveals we're expecting to see at the event.
The new XPS 17 (9700) has landed at our doorstep, and it's pretty great
The new XPS 17 (9700) review unit arrived, and we have some early thoughts (spoiler: we think it's incredible). Here are some photos of Dell's new flagship and how it compares to the Surface Book 3.
Best Samsung Galaxy Book S Accessories in 2020
The Samsung Galaxy Book S is an incredible little ARM-powered machine, but what are some accessories that will make your experience with it even better? Here's a list of our favorites.