Thankfully, it turns out that Microsoft may have had other plans all along. On the Minecraft Pocket Edition subreddit, a user submitted a changelog for version 1.0.3 beta, which includes "Windows Phone 10" support.
As listed on reddit, the beta includes the following fixes, including the infamous item duplication exploit that very naughty people on the Windows Central Community Realm used (and subsequently corrupted the entire server with).
- Added Candy texture pack
- Added Dutch localization
- Added Windows Phone 10 support
- Fixed some spacing when truncating bold text
- Tweaked spawn point selection to be "smarter" (e.g. avoid lava)
- Tweaked the textures of flower/mushroom blocks
- Assorted texture fixes
- Fixed a crash when a server/Realm would first start
- Fixed an issue causing servers to blink between online and offline status
- Fixed a Realms crash when a player exits
- Fixed a crash when using some items
- Fixed a server crash when a player entered a mutated biome
- Fixed an issue that caused pressure plates, buttons, and other Redstone components to become stuck
- Fixed an issue with hoppers not ticking the proper order
- Fixed an issue when destroying a door
- Fixed an issue with item duplication
- Fixed an issue allowing a player to incorrectly obtain End Gateway blocks
- Observer block's arrows should now point in the direction of power
- Observer blocks will no longer be placed upside-down
- Fixed an issue where realms members that were not your friends were not being displayed
- Bats should spawn more often!
- Fixed an issue with End Gateway textures on mobile devices
- Fixed an issue where buttons & other redstone devices could get locked when a redstone lamp activated.
- Fixed some rendering geometry which created weird results
As noted, it does appear Minecraft Pocket Edition for Windows Phone 8 will be stuck in limbo henceforth, never to receive the Ender update or beyond. It does however appear that Minecraft will live on with Windows 10 Mobile, bringing it up to parity with its Windows 10 PC counterpart. This beta version is 1.0.3, the version we have on the Windows 10 Store for PC is currently 1.0.2.
The official Pocket Edition FAQ states that neither Windows Phone 8 or "Windows Phone 10" will receive the Ender update, but these patch notes appear to contradict that. Microsoft hasn't formerly announced Minecraft PE for Windows 10 Mobile yet, but we shouldn't have to wait long for confirmation, either way.
Minecraft Windows 10 Edition is currently on special offer too, pick it up using the download link below!
Thanks wenti_man for the tip!
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.