The US Lumia 950 dual-SIM now has double-tap to wake firmware on WDRT
For those itching to get the new Microsoft firmware for their Lumia 950, we have an update to give you. For those who own the unlocked Lumia 950 dual-SIM model sold in the US (NAM CV) you can now reset your phone and get it via the Windows Device Recovery Tool.
Firmware version 01078.00053.16236.35005 is now listed as an update from the previous 16025.xxxx version. The 16236 series is the one announced by Microsoft on July 7 as bringing double-tap-to-wake along with numerous other fixes.
The full changelog is below:
- Wi-Fi connectivity improvements, including fixes for Wi-Fi connection dropping randomly and Wi-Fi scan occasionally not returning any results.
- Support for double tap to wake enabled.
- Bluetooth connectivity improvements.
- Stability and reliability improvements.
- Camera improvements, including improved image and video quality, improved Auto-focus and fix for a problem that was causing slow motion capture to skip frames for some users.
- Cellular connectivity improvements, including fix for a problem that caused occasional network loss for some users.
- Audio quality improvements, including fix for a problem that caused voice call audio to get scrambled for some users.
Users will need to wipe their device and install Windows 10 Mobile 10586 (non-Redstone) to get the new firmware. We should also clarify a few things:
- The update is not yet available over-the-air, but likely will come in the next few days
- This firmware is not for the AT&T-branded Lumia 950 single-SIM model
- The unlocked Lumia 950 XL dual-SIM (US) does not yet have the same firmware available on WDRT
Your best bet is to wait a few days for the update to come over-the-air (OTA). You will save a lot of time and effort in not having to reinstall all your software, apps, games, and personalization. The OTA update applies to those on non-Insider phones and Insider ones as well, so there is no need to rollback. However, if you want it right now, you can do that if you have the time.
No word on when the AT&T branded Lumia 950 will get the firmware, but it is likely timed with the Anniversary Update coming on August 2. The unlocked Lumia 950 XL (NAM CV) will probably come even sooner.
For more information on rolling back your phone, you can read our guide "How to roll back Windows 10 Mobile from Fast and Slow Ring to Production Release".
Windows Central Newsletter
Get the best of Windows Central in your inbox, every day!
Daniel Rubino is the Editor-in-chief of Windows Central, head reviewer, podcast co-host, and analyst. He has been covering Microsoft since 2007 when this site was called WMExperts (and later Windows Phone Central). His interests include Windows, laptops, next-gen computing, and for some reason, watches. Before all this tech stuff, he worked on a Ph.D. in linguistics, watched people sleep (for medical purposes!), and ran the projectors at movie theaters because it was fun.
Are we even going to get any firmware for old Lumia too like Lumia 830, 'cause most of all have that WiFi issue.
- Acer Liquid Jade Primo
- HP Elite x3
- Lumia 640XL
- Lumia 950XL
- BLU Win HD LTE
- Lenovo Softbank 503LV
- NuAns NEO (see kickstarter campaign)
They might have something for older lumia too.