What you need to know
- Build 20270 is now available in the Dev Channel.
- The build features new search capabilities for Cortana.
- There are also a handful of new fixes.
After a week long break, Microsoft is back with a new Windows 10 Insider Preview build for those in the Dev Channel. Today's build is 20270 and is packing mostly bug fixes, with a notable new addition to Cortana. The Cortana app can now index and search for files saved on your PC, all with your voice.
In addition, corporate accounts can now use Cortana to search for files stored in OneDrive for Business or SharePoint, something it couldn't do previously. This is another new feature that enhances Cortana for productivity use, as that's Microsoft's new position with Cortana in the AI market.
With this new feature, Cortana can search for files via:
- Parts of file names (Example: "Hey Cortana, opening marketing deck.")
- Author names (Example: "Hey Cortana, open budget Excel from Anthony")
- Find a document you have been editing (Example: "Hey Cortana, find my recent files")
- Find a document of a particular type (Example: "Hey Cortana, find my recent pdfs")
Here's the rest of the build changelog:
- The new "Advanced View" checkbox in Optimize Drives is now up and running and checking it will display volumes previously not visible in this window (for example system and recovery partitions).
- Using the touch keyboard in a portrait posture on a 2-in-1 touch device now supports split keyboard mode.
- We fixed an issue resulting in some dialogs, such as Properties, displaying black text on dark backgrounds in recent flights.
- We fixed an issue that could result in certain apps unexpectedly closing when clicking the Maximize button in recent builds.
- We fixed an issue resulting in printers with Japanese characters in their names not displaying correctly in Printers & Scanners Settings.
- We fixed an issue that could result in some delay logging into your PC on devices with a large number of users.
As always, you can check out the Windows Blog for the complete changelog, including a list of known issues.
But where's the promised x64 support for Arm devices?
where is the fix for explorer white flash while in dark mode?
Get the best of Windows Central in in your inbox, every day!
Thank you for signing up to Windows Central. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.