What you need to know
- Windows Holographic version 21H2 is now available for HoloLens 2 headsets.
- The update adds several features for IT admins, including the ability to view advanced diagnostic reports directly on a HoloLens 2.
- A beta version of Moving Platform Mode also arrives with the update to Windows Holographic version 21H2.
Windows Holographic version 21H2 is now available for the HoloLens 2. The update includes a handful of new features, including a new Moving Platform Mode (in beta) that lets people use the HoloLens 2 on large ships and marine vessels. It also has several tools for troubleshooting, including offline diagnostic notifications, low storage log collection improvements, and the ability to view advanced diagnostic reports directly on HoloLens headsets.
Here's an abridged list of the feature highlights from Microsoft:
- Moving Platform Mode beta
- PFX file support for Certificate Manager
- View advanced diagnostic reports
- Offline Diagnostics notifications
- Low storage log collection improvements
- CSP changes for reporting HoloLens details
- Improved update restart detection and notifications
- Smart Retry for app updates
- Use only private store apps only for Microsoft Store
- Use WDAC and LOB apps
You can also read through the complete release notes from Microsoft.
To update to build 21H2:
- Go to Settings.
- Go to Update & Security.
- Go to Windows Update.
- Select Check for updates.
IT admins can update a fleet of HoloLens headsets through Windows Update for Business and MDM policy. In order to update to Windows Holographic version 21H2, a device must first be upgraded to Windows Holographic version 21H1.
In other HoloLens-related news, Microsoft's augmented reality headset deal with the U.S. Army was recently pushed back to September 2022. The deal is worth up to $21.88 billion.
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.