What you need to know
- The Xbox backward compatibility team regularly adds new features and bonuses to older games on the Xbox platform.
- Recently, FPS Boost was unveiled as a way to seamlessly double or even quadruple the framerates of some older games on Xbox Series X|S.
- Today, Xbox revealed 13 new titles that now support FPS Boost, including Mirror's Edge, three Battlefield games, Titanfall, and more at up to 120fps.
- Even better, all 13 games are currently available through Xbox Game Pass Ultimate and EA Play.
The Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S are powerhouses when it comes to playing modern games, but they even excel when it comes to playing the classics and old favorites. Today, the Xbox backward compatibility team has revealed that a staggering 13 new games are adding FPS Boost support, which upgrades these aging titles with massively improved performance up to 120fps! All 13 games are published by EA and include fan favorites like three Battlefield games, both Titanfall games, Mirror's Edge, and both the new Star Wars Battlefront games.
If you didn't know already, Xbox FPS Boost is an incredibly innovative backward compatibility feature that can double or even quadruple the performance of older games when played on Xbox Series X|S, all with little-to-no effort required by the original developer! At first, the FPS Boost games list was small, but it's obvious that Xbox intends to expand the roster with this recent announcement rapidly.
The list is quite impressive as well, as 12 out of the 13 games now support up to 120fps on Xbox Series X|S. Even better, every single game announced today is available right now through Xbox Game Pass Ultimate and EA Play, meaning you can jump into all of them right now.
Keep in mind that some of these games will not turn FPS Boost on by default and require you to toggle it manually in the Compatibility Options of the game.
The full list of new FPS Boost-enabled games on Xbox Series X|S include:
- Battlefield 4: FPS Boost up to 120fps
- Battlefield 1: FPS Boost up to 120fps
- Battlefield V: FPS Boost up to 120fps
- Mirror's Edge Catalyst: FPS Boost up to 120fps
- Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare: FPS Boost up to 120fps
- Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare 2: FPS Boost up to 120fps
- Plants vs. Zombies: Battle for Neighborville: FPS Boost up to 120fps
- Star Wars Battlefront: FPS Boost up to 120fps
- Star Wars Battlefront II: FPS Boost up to 120fps
- Titanfall: FPS Boost up to 120fps
- Titanfall 2: FPS Boost up to 120fps
- Unravel 2: FPS Boost up to 120fps
- Sea of Solitude: FPS Boost up to 60fps
Some of these games already rank among the best games on Xbox, like the wonderful Titanfall 2, but now they've been made even greater on Xbox Series X|S.
A catalog of games
All your gaming needs, in one subscription.
Is the Xbox Game Pass Ultimate the best value in all of gaming? It's possible. Ultimate bundles your Xbox Live Gold subscription, an Xbox Game Pass subscription for both Xbox consoles and Windows PCs, and Xbox Cloud Gaming for on-the-go. That means access to hundreds of games, with more added all the time, for a single monthly subscription cost.
Get the Windows Central Newsletter
All the latest news, reviews, and guides for Windows and Xbox diehards.
Zachary Boddy (They / Them) is a Staff Writer for Windows Central, primarily focused on covering the latest news in tech and gaming, the best Xbox and PC games, and the most interesting Windows and Xbox hardware. They have been gaming and writing for most of their life starting with the original Xbox, and started out as a freelancer for Windows Central and its sister sites in 2019. Now a full-fledged Staff Writer, Zachary has expanded from only writing about all things Minecraft to covering practically everything on which Windows Central is an expert, especially when it comes to Microsoft. You can find Zachary on Twitter @BoddyZachary.