Last week’s Xbox Red Stripe Deal knocked it out of the park by offering Modern Combat 4 – a game that had never been on sale before – at a significant discount. But we can’t expect a new game to go on sale every week… Not if we don’t want our hearts broken. The latest discounted Xbox Windows Phone game has been on sale twice before, most recently in June. Yep, UberGeekGames’ BulletAsylum is 99 cents once again. We’ll try to contain our enthusiasm.
Meanwhile, the non-Xbox Red Stripe Deals are actually a lot more exciting. Indie Minecraft clone Discovery from Noowanda (?) is only 99 cents, which should please the construction crowd. And all three versions of Garmin’s GPS app Navigon (USA, Europe, and Australia) are half off as well. Descriptions and Store links after the break.
BulletAsylum (Windows Phone 7 and 8)
Regular price: $2.99 Sale price: $.99 Download size: 16 MB Store Link
BulletAsylum is a modern take on the arcade classic Missile Defense. Aliens rain down from the sky and it’s up to your turrets to stop them. You can use a single finger to fire all your weapons at one area or two fingers to split the fire. Game modes include the extremely easy Arcade, an endless Survival mode that has no Achievements for some reason, and the frustratingly hard Architect mode.
It’s easy to get into BulletAsylum thanks to the pretty colors and flashing lights. The unlocking system is decent, and the Achievements are attainable for most mortal men and women. Still, I found the gameplay far too simplistic to maintain interest; the lack of depth really keeps the game from having much staying power. At least it's only a buck right now! Check out our review to learn more.
Discovery (Windows Phone 7 and 8)
Regular price: $1.99 Sale price: $.99 Download size: 17 MB Store Link
Survivalcraft is the king of Windows Phone Minecraft clones, but that doesn’t mean it’s the only game in town. As you’d expect from this type of game, it allows players to explore a large, blocky virtual world, gather resources, and build things. This one has some especially nice features like cloud saves and online sharing, so it definitely looks worth a buy.
- smooth, high quality 3D graphics with up to 60 FPS on 1st generation phones
- realistic light and shadows
- giant world of blocks
- World Browser for sharing your worlds with others
- Backup/Cloud system
- different times of day
- atmospheric music
- TNT :)
Navigon USA (Windows Phone 7 and 8)
Regular price: $49.99 Sale price: $23.99 Download size: 11 MB Store Link
Windows Phone Central’s own Daniel Rubino proclaims Navigon to be his favorite GPS app, so you know it’s got to be good. Developed by Garmin, Navigon has all the advanced features you could possibly want in a GPS app. It also looks about a million times nicer than the free apps our phones come with. However, it’s quite pricey by default. Even at half off, it’s still kind of expensive – but you get what you pay for.
- Traffic Live
- Reality View Pro
- NAVIGON MyRoutes
- Active Lane Assistant
- Speed Assistant
- Safety Camera
- Weather Live
- NAVIGON Reality Scanner
- Last Mile Navigation
- Google Street View
- Text-to-Speech and precise spoken announcements
- Extended Pedestrian Navigation
- Destination entry with coordinates
- Emergency help
- Special destinations along the route
- Can be used in portrait and landscape format
- 2D and 3D map views
- Automatic day and night mode
- Direct access and navigation to contacts saved in the smartphone’s address book
- Take Me Home function with a single click
- Route planning function
- Favourites can be saved directly on the Windows Phone Start screen via the NAVIGON shortcut
- Latest Map Guarantee: Guarantees that you receive the latest maps when you make your purchase!
- Link from Bing Search to the NAVIGON app on your Windows Phone. Lets you start navigating immediately to destinations which you have found on the Internet.
Navigon Europe (Windows Phone 7 and 8)
Regular price: $99.99 Sale price: $49.99 Download size: 12 MB (at least 1.1 GB with maps) Store Link
Navigon Australia (Windows Phone 7 and 8)
Regular price: $46.99 Sale price: $28.99 Download size: 12 MB (at least 900 MB with maps) Store Link
Thanks to Marcel for the tip!