RainbowMod? Sounds familiar, right? We previously covered a custom ROM for the Lumia 710 sharing an identical name, and now it's out for the Lumia 800. Built on Windows Phone "Tango" (7.10.8773.98) and based on Chinese firmware, RainbowMod is shipped with both English (US) and Russian languages.
It's required that the owner has configured the Qualcomm boot loader on their Lumia 800. So what's included in RainbowMod?
- Full Unlock from UltraShot
- Removed OEM applications (Nokia Drive, Maps, etc.)
- Search key remapping
- QuickLaunch menu for quick switching state of WiFi, 3G, Flight mode, Power save, etc.
- Ability to access file system via WiFi/USB
- Integrated Live ID, DppImplant no longer needed, but new key can also be banned
- Orientation locker
- Added multiple colour themes
- Easy installation xap from browser or file manager
- Unlocked Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn accounts (limitation of Chinese firmware)
- Added Google and Yandex search engines
- xb0xmod cert for cab-updates
- Lots of minor changes
- Updatability via Zune (not guaranteed)
It must be noted that the ROM creator does not own a Lumia 800, and thus this may well bust a cap in your Lumia's ass. Windows Phone Central takes no responsibility for any damage caused to your device. Proceed with caution and at your own risk. Head on over to the XDA thread for more information and support.
Source: XDA; thanks Maersk for the heads up!
Get the Windows Central Newsletter
All the latest news, reviews, and guides for Windows and Xbox diehards.
Rich Edmonds was formerly a Senior Editor of PC hardware at Windows Central, covering everything related to PC components and NAS. He's been involved in technology for more than a decade and knows a thing or two about the magic inside a PC chassis. You can follow him on Twitter at @RichEdmonds.