Regardless of where you stand on the climate change debate, it's clear that all the tech we use every day has some impact on the world we live in and the planet we will live on. On Earth Day 2020, we're taking some time to step back, and step away from other timely concerns, to give our planet some much-deserved attention. To this end, Windows Central's editorial team banded together with our sibling sites, Android Central, CordCutters and iMore, to put together a package of stories related to our respective tech ecosystems — Windows, Android and Apple — and the various ways they impact our environment.
Every year, many of us add another gadget to our arsenals or at least upgrade the ones we use regularly, often discarding the old in a trash can, never to be thought of again. When we purchase new devices, we may consider the claims from manufacturers about their eco-friendliness, and those claims may even influence a purchase. But how do tech companies' claims of environmental friendliness stand up to what they're doing behind the scenes? What do you really know about the environmental impact of your phone? Maybe you bought some rechargeable batteries for your keyboard or mouse, so you don't have to keep buying, and then ditching, single-use batteries. But just how eco are those rechargeable power packs? Sure, your gaming PC looks badass with all those RGB lights, but is there an environmental toll?
These are questions we asked ourselves and then went out and answered, for you. You can find links to everything we came up with in the menu on the left.
A lot is going on in the world today, but that doesn't mean any of us should stop thinking about tomorrow, and the impact technology might have on the future of the planet. We hope you'll take some time to click through our guide, hopefully find a story or two that resonates and leaves you with a simple, actionable item to take away, and then let us know what you think in the comments.
Happy Earth Day.
— Al Sacco, Windows Central managing editor
Embrace Earth Day with more tips to make your tech more efficient!
- Windows Central
- Introduction to our Earth Day guide
- Best eco-friendly PC accessories
- Is your RGB PC an eco nightmare?
- About those PC companies you thought were eco friendly
- Make your game console eco-friendly by disabling standby
- Rechargeable batteries vs. throwaway batteries
- Make your power-hungry gaming PC more eco
- Android Central
- Our guide to making better tech decisions in the era of climate change
- The single most eco-friendly thing you can on Earth Day is ...
- Is wireless, wired charging, or 'Fast Charging' more efficient?
- This fantastic smart plug is an Earth Day essential
- Fairphone 3 review: The most repairable phone ever
- An interview with Fairphone about making a sustainable gadget
- Best 'green' tech products and accessories
- Best eco-friendly phone accessories
- How to recycle your old phone
- What happens to a phone when you sell to a recycling company?
- 8 ways to reuse an old Android device
- How to charge a phone using solar
- Our guide to how our technology affects the world
- All the resources that go into your favorite gadgets
- Are tech companies leading the charge for eco-friendliness?
- What is carbon neutrality?
- Best eco-friendly iPhone accessories
- Tips to easily and affordably be more eco friendly
- 7 simple ways to shrink your eco footprint
- Best smart home accessories to reduce eco impact
- About those companies you thought were eco friendly ...
Get the Windows Central Newsletter
All the latest news, reviews, and guides for Windows and Xbox diehards.
Al Sacco is content director of Future PLC's Mobile Technology Vertical, which includes AndroidCentral.com, iMore.com and WindowsCentral.com. He is a veteran reporter, writer, reviewer and editor who has professionally covered and evaluated IT and mobile technology, and countless associated gadgets and accessories, for more than a decade. You can keep up with Al on Twitter and Instagram.