Protecting the planet isn't just about the car you drive or how much you recycle. You can do little things to help the Earth on your own desk at your home or office. You can grab a case made out of environmentally-friendly materials, make sure you keep track of your power usage, and clean your devices with reusable materials. All the little things add up to make an eco-friendly setup. Here are the best environmentally-friendly accessories you can get for your PC.
Monitor your power
This is a tool to monitor your power usage through a plug. It has six smart plugs that support customized tracking. It also has three USB ports for the devices you use at your desk other than your PC. Your devices are also protected when they're plugged into the Kasa Smart Plug Power Strip because it has surge protection.
Carry it in style
This cork sleeve will provide some added protection to your laptop while being friendly to the environment. It can fit devices between 13 and 15.4 inches and has velvet lining inside to reduce scratches. Cork is made out of tree bark, so using it to make things doesn't require killing trees.
Lift it up
This laptop table is adjustable and can be used at a desk on while you're in bed. It's made out of 100 percent bamboo and has a storage drawer for your pens, pencils, and other office supplies. You can adjust it to five different angles to help you use your devices more comfortably.
Bust that dust
You can use this air blaster instead of a one-time use spray. It has a nozzle that can reach in between keys and small cracks, and it'll last longer than a can of spray. Also, squeezing it might work as a bit of stress relief.
Keep track of your power
One of the best ways to reduce your energy usage is to have a way to monitor it. You'll see what takes up the most power in your house and can then adjust your habits. This Currant Smart plug has two plugs and can be monitored with the Currant app. You can use it to create custom rules to manage your power. As an added bonus, it works with Google Assistant and Alexa.
Sporty and green
If you want to take your laptop on the go, you can grab a Mobile Edge Laptop Eco Messenger bag. It has a sporty and professional design with plenty of compartments for devices and accessories. It can fit up to a 16-inch laptop and is made using renewable and recyclable natural materials.
Wooden keyboard and mouse
This unique keyboard and mouse set is made out of bamboo, which is a very eco-friendly material. As the keys are made of bamboo, the letters are carved into each key instead of being printed. As a result, the characters shouldn't rub off. The mouse has a 30-foot range that works through an included USB receiver.
Instead of using disposable wipes, you can clean your PC's screen and other devices with a reusable microfiber cleaning cloth. They're designed to clean smudges and fingerprints without scratching your PC, phone, or other items.
Easy being green
All of these accessories focus on being smart about what you use. Some allow you to use less material, while others allow you to clean your devices without wasting metal and plastic. But the thing many people will focus on most at their desk and with their PC is power usage. Reducing your power usage is one of the biggest changes you can make with your PC setup.
The Kasa Smart Plug Power Strip (opens in new tab) allows you to monitor your power usage through six customizable plugs. It also has three USB ports so you can plug in devices other than your PC. By keeping track of your power usage, you can see what devices and accessories use up the most energy. You can then change your habits by turning off a lamp while you work during the day or changing your PC's power settings to allow you to charge it less often.
As an added bonus, the Kasa Smart Plug Power Strip has surge protection. That means that it can protect your devices from power surges, so in a way, it protects you from the environment while you try to protect the environment.
Embrace Earth Day with more tips to make your tech more efficient!
- Windows Central
- Introduction to our Earth Day guide
- Best eco-friendly PC accessories
- Is your RGB PC an eco nightmare?
- About those PC companies you thought were eco friendly
- Make your game console eco-friendly by disabling standby
- Rechargeable batteries vs. throwaway batteries
- Make your power-hungry gaming PC more eco
- Android Central
- Our guide to making better tech decisions in the era of climate change
- The single most eco-friendly thing you can on Earth Day is ...
- Is wireless, wired charging, or 'Fast Charging' more efficient?
- This fantastic smart plug is an Earth Day essential
- Fairphone 3 review: The most repairable phone ever
- An interview with Fairphone about making a sustainable gadget
- Best 'green' tech products and accessories
- Best eco-friendly phone accessories
- How to recycle your old phone
- What happens to a phone when you sell to a recycling company?
- 8 ways to reuse an old Android device
- How to charge a phone using solar
- Our guide to how our technology affects the world
- All the resources that go into your favorite gadgets
- Are tech companies leading the charge for eco-friendliness?
- What is carbon neutrality?
- Best eco-friendly iPhone accessories
- Tips to easily and affordably be more eco friendly
- 7 simple ways to shrink your eco footprint
- Best smart home accessories to reduce eco impact
- About those companies you thought were eco friendly ...
Sean Endicott brings nearly a decade of experience covering Microsoft and Windows news to Windows Central. He joined our team in 2017 as an app reviewer and now heads up our day-to-day news coverage. If you have a news tip or an app to review, hit him up at email@example.com (opens in new tab).
Get the best of Windows Central in in your inbox, every day!
Thank you for signing up to Windows Central. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.