What you need to know
- Microsoft Edge Dev has a new update that brings it to version 94.0.972.0.
- It is the first Edge Dev build based on Chromium version 94.
- The update brings a new option for the new tab page and enables a new Spellcheck experience for Macs.
Microsoft Edge Dev recently received an update that brings the browser to version 94. The update brings several new features, including the option to add a second row of top sites to the new tab page. This is the first Edge Dev build based on Chromium version 94.
Here are the new features available in the latest Edge Dev build:
- Added a second row of Top Sites on the New Tab Page.
- Enabled the new Spellcheck experience on Mac.
- Added management policies (note that updates to documentation and administrative templates may not have happened yet):
- To control if WAM Auth on versions Below Win 10 RS3 is Enabled.
- To control the Primary Password Setting, which controls if device authentication is required before autofilling a password in a webpage.
- To control if the Password Generator is Enabled.
- To control if Transparent Ad Providers are Enabled, which controls the blocking of certain trackers with Tracking Prevention.
- To control if the setting to Open Microsoft Links In Edge is Enabled.
- Improved the sign-in dialog when signing into the browser.
- Added support for full-page screenshots and InPrivate authentication via Face ID on iOS.
Microsoft also fixed several bugs and issues with the update:
- Fixed a crash on launch.
- Fixed an issue where PWAs or websites installed as apps sometimes crash after an OS upgrade.
- Fixed an issue on Mac where a webpage crash can sometimes also cause a browser crash.
- Fixed an issue where interacting with PDFs sometimes causes the browser to freeze or crash.
- Fixed a crash when playing videos.
You can read the complete changelog, including all of the build's changed behaviors and known issues on Microsoft's Tech Community page for the update.
Testing it out
Helping build a better browser
The latest update to Microsoft Edge Dev brings the browser to Chromium version 94. It also includes some new features, including the option to have two rows of sites on the browser's new tab page.
Get the Windows Central Newsletter
All the latest news, reviews, and guides for Windows and Xbox diehards.
Sean Endicott brings nearly a decade of experience covering Microsoft and Windows news to Windows Central. He joined our team in 2017 as an app reviewer and now heads up our day-to-day news coverage. If you have a news tip or an app to review, hit him up at firstname.lastname@example.org.