What you need to know
- Fallout 76 is the online-central open-world post-apocalyptic RPG sequel to the Fallout franchise.
- Bethesda Softworks has consistently been updating, iterating, and improving upon Fallout 76 since its initial lackluster launch.
- Fallout 76 has unveiled its content roadmap for 2021, and there are a ton of great updates planned for this year.
- This includes the 'Steel Reign' expansion, which will conclude the Brotherhood of Steel storyline in Fallout 76.
Fallout 76 isn't the same game it was in our Fallout 76 review. Since its decidedly poor launch, Bethesda has worked tirelessly to fix and improve Fallout 76 with lots of updates and even full-blown expansions. The Fallout 76 2020 Year in Review showed us that it's paying off, and that more players are trying the much-improved Fallout 76. Today, Bethesda has revealed the Fallout 76 2021 roadmap, which includes a ton of exciting new updates planned for their open-world post-apocalyptic RPG later this year.
Fallout 76 is dividing its 2021 into the four seasons, and each one brings something new to the table. Here's what you can expect from Fallout 76 in 2021.
- Spring. To start off the year, Fallout 76 introduces Season 4 with new rewards and challenges to the Scoreboard, the return of Armor Ace, new S.P.E.C.I.A.L. loadouts, C.A.M.P. slots, mannequins, and an expansion to Daily Ops. Other general improvements include crafting sliders and aim assist for consoles.
- Summer. For many Fallout 76 players, Summer will end up being the most exciting time of the year. Bethesda is continuing (and concluding) the Brotherhood of Steel storyline introduced in the Fallout 76 Steel Dawn expansion with the Steel Reign expansion. There will be new quests, locations, NPCs, and rewards. Fallout 76 is also letting players craft Legendary gear using new Legendary modules, introducing Season 5 with new rewards, and adding unlimited ranks to Seasons.
- Fall. Not a ton of information is available for Fallout 76's Fall plans. We know Fallout 76 is planning some kind of expansion / change to Private Worlds, but we'll have to wait longer to learn more. Daily Ops is also getting another new expansion, as well as the introduction of Season 6.
- Winter. Last but not least, Fallout 76 is capping off the year with the Ritual seasonal event involving the Cultists of Appalachia, four-star Legendary gear, a new Public Challenge, C.A.M.P. pets, and Season 6. More details on all of these major in-game events will be revealed as we get closer to launch.
Fallout 76 has certainly come a long way since it launched, and it's only getting better from here. If you haven't tried Fallout 76, or if it's been a while, Fallout 76 is now on Xbox Game Pass for Xbox Series X, Xbox Series S, Xbox One, and PC! Even better, owners of Xbox Series X|S consoles can even experience Fallout 76 with double the performance, as Fallout 76 now supports Xbox FPS Boost. Keep track of great games like Fallout 76 joining Xbox Game Pass with our guide on all games coming and going from Xbox Game Pass.
Fallout 76 is best experienced with friends and strangers alike, so make sure you're prepared with one of the Best Headsets for Xbox Series X|S.
A catalog of games
Xbox Game Pass Ultimate
All your gaming needs, in one subscription.
Is the Xbox Game Pass Ultimate the best value in all of gaming? It's possible. Ultimate bundles your Xbox Live Gold subscription, an Xbox Game Pass subscription for both Xbox consoles and Windows PCs, and Xbox Cloud Gaming for on-the-go. That means access to hundreds of games, with more added all the time, for a single monthly subscription cost.
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.