Update, April 10, 2021 (9:30 p.m. CT): The first Outriders patch update is now rolling out for Xbox players.
What you need to know
- Outriders, the latest game from People Can Fly, is a co-op looter shooter set in a disturbing sci-fi universe.
- To fix some of the issues Outriders has been facing since launch, People Can Fly is now releasing the first patch update.
- The update will go live for PC and PlayStation players within a few hours, but Xbox players will have to wait a little bit longer.
- When the patch goes live for all platforms, cross-play between PC and consoles will be fully restored and operational.
The game on a lot of people's minds in the last few days has been Outriders, a brand-new IP from studio People Can Fly that combines elements of several different games into an overall fun and compelling co-op looter shooter. Yesterday, People Can Fly took to Reddit to share its upcoming plans for Outriders in a dev update, including plans to launch the first Outriders patch update at some point next week.
Today, People Can Fly is releasing the first patch update for Outriders even earlier than planned, and it's going live for lots of Outriders players within the next few hours. At least, PC, PS5 and PS4 players are getting the patch today. Xbox players will have to wait a bit longer for the update, since it appears to have been delayed slightly.
The Outriders team promises that the patch is coming to Xbox soon, and that they're working with Xbox to make it happen. In the meantime, players can check out what to expect in the update. Mostly, this patch update is all about stability. People Can Fly is fixing a lot of crashing issues and performance issues in Outriders, as well as a handful of other bug fixes and general improvements. The highlight of this patch update, however, is the restoration of cross-play between all platforms.
Cross-play is already going live again for PC and PlayStation players. Xbox cross-play has been disabled in its entirety in the meantime, but once the Xbox patch goes live cross-play will be up and fully operational between all Outriders platforms.
Outriders is now available on Xbox Series X, Xbox Series S, Xbox One, and even through Xbox Game Pass. This makes Outriders one of the best games on Xbox Game Pass. Outriders is certainly worth playing if you're a fan of the genre, or if you have some friends that want to play with you.
The full changelog for the first Outriders patch update includes:
- Once platforms have been updated to the same patch version, cross-play across platforms will become viable again
- With the release of this patch, cross-play between PlayStation and PC is now possible
- Cross-play between Xbox and PC / PlayStation has been temporarily disabled until the Xbox patch has released
- Cross-play between consoles and PC will be fully restored once the Xbox patch has gone live
PC & console platforms
- Overall stability improvements for the matchmaking service
- Crash Fixes
- Will Fix a multiplayer crash that could result in client players having their inventory wiped
- Will fix the crash when completing the "A Bad Day" side quest
- Will fix the crash that occurs in No Man's Land when your language is set to Spanish (Yes, we know. Video game code is a magical thing)
- Will fix crash on launch issues
- Will include many more "random" crash fixes
- We are confident that these fixes will address the majority of crashes reported, as there are only a handful of root causes but the crashes they generate appear in a number of places
- Will fix the HUD disappearing in certain cases
- Will fix bugs that interfere with players re-spawning in multiplayer Expeditions
- Will fix bugs with players getting stuck on geometry (including when using Gravity Leap) or falling out of the world
- Will change the default matchmaking setting from "Open" to "Closed"
- You will still be able to manually change this setting to "Open" through your game settings
- This change will prevent players from joining games where the host didn't intend to play in multiplayer. It will also cut down on AFK lobbies
- This will also help improve matchmaking times, as the queues will be less likely to be overwhelmed by the sheer volume of constant matchmaking requests generated by "open" games
- Many other minor fixes and improvements
- Will Fix a performance issue where GPU is not being fully utilized. This should help with stuttering and DX11/12 issues
Update, April 10, 2021 (9:30 p.m. CT) — The first major Outriders patch is now available for Xbox
After a short delay from the release of the PC and PlayStation version of the patch, Outriders is now releasing its first major patch update for Xbox consoles. Players on Xbox Series X|S and Xbox One should get the patch throughout today, which fixes a number of bugs and restores cross-play between console platforms and PC.
Follow the signal
Become an Outrider and follow a mysterious signal across the alien planet of Enoch, full of hellish threats waiting around every corner. Outriders features drop-in, drop-out co-op for up to three players so you can have a couple of friends at your side.
A catalog of games
Xbox Game Pass Ultimate
All your gaming needs, in one subscription.
Is the Xbox Game Pass Ultimate the best value in all of gaming? It's possible. Ultimate bundles your Xbox Live Gold subscription, an Xbox Game Pass subscription for both Xbox consoles and Windows PCs, and Xbox Cloud Gaming for on-the-go. That means access to hundreds of games, with more added all the time, for a single monthly subscription cost.
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.