Former PlayStation exclusive Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age launches on PC
Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age has sold over a million units on PlayStation 4 since it launched last July.
Taking the popularity of Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age into account, publisher Square Enix decided to bring the game to Windows PC today. The title joins various other Final Fantasy games which are available on Steam. According to the company, Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age on PC includes all of the modern advancements and features available in the PlayStation 4 (PS4) version, such as the latest visuals, an enhanced soundtrack, new Speed and Trial modes, and fast forward functionality, among others improvements.
Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age initially launched on the PlayStation 2 in 2006, with a remastered version hitting PS4 in 2017. The same PS4 version is being enhanced for PC. Customers who purchase the game through Steam within the first week of launch will receive a twenty percent discount, a three-track digital music compilation, and a new Steam Skin illustrated by famed Final Fantasy artist Isamu Kamikokuryo. The following new features will also be added for PC users.
- Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age runs at 60 FPS on PC. The publisher claims that the world of Ivalice has never looked this good or run this smooth before.
- The game is compatible with 21:9 ultra-wide monitors. Those who have the necessary equipment can connect up to three monitors together for a potential 48:9 experience.
- New Game Plus and New Game Minus modes will be part of the game. All of the post-game content modes will now be accessible from the beginning of the game.
- Square Enix is giving players three background music options. You can experience the game with the original score, a re-orchestrated version, or with just its soundtrack.
- New functionality has been added to Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age which grants players maximum License Points and Gil from the configuration screen.
- Lastly, the game features full controller support, Steam Trading Cards, and other similar options to optimize the PC player experience.
It's great to see that Square Enix is putting this much care into the PC release of Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age. All too often, the PC version of games nowadays is an afterthought like Batman: Arkham Knight. Hopefully the title will live up to expectations.
Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age is set on the continent of Ivalice, where the Archadian and Rozarrian Empires wage an endless war for power over the land. The realm of Dalmasca has been caught between the two and annexed by Archadia. Dalmasca's princess, Ashelia B'nargin Dalmasca, creates a resistance movement against Archadia to avenge her broken kingdom, and along the way meets numerous allies who help her take down the Archadian Empire.
Keep an eye on WindowsCentral.com/Gaming for all the latest in Xbox and Windows 10 gaming, accessories, news, and reviews!
Get the Windows Central Newsletter
All the latest news, reviews, and guides for Windows and Xbox diehards.
Asher Madan handles gaming news for Windows Central. Before joining Windows Central in 2017, Asher worked for a number of different gaming outlets. He has a background in medical science and is passionate about all forms of entertainment, cooking, and antiquing.