What you need to know
- Frostpunk is an award-wining post-apocalyptic, resource-management survival strategy game from 11 Bit Studios.
- Frostpunk: Console Edition is one of the best strategy games on Xbox, but it's fallen behind the PC version.
- Now, 11 Bit Studios has detailed the arrival of the three PC Frostpunk DLC expansions on consoles in 2021 with new content and features.
- The Rifts, On the Edge, and The Last Autumn all arrive for Frostpunk: Console Edition in Fall 2021 alongside a new Season Pass.
Frostpunk is one of the greatest strategy survival games around, and Frostpunk: Console Edition continues that trend with an excellent Xbox and PlayStation port. While Frostpunk: Console Edition is amazing (and one of the best strategy and simulation games on Xbox), it's fallen behind the full PC version in recent years. Today, 11 Bit Studios has revealed the plan to bring the three DLC expansions for Frostpunk to Xbox and PlayStation in Fall 2021 with a ton of new content, ways to play, controller optimization, and so much more.
The three expansions planned for release on Frostpunk: Console Edition include:
- The Rift. A minor expansion that includes a unique endless map, bridges, and new ways to expand and improve your settlement
- On the Edge. A major expansion with a new scenario, brand-new technologies, settlements, building structures, mechanics, and more, and new optimizations for controllers and gamepads
- The Last Autumn. The biggest expansion set before The Frost with a ton of new content like new laws, technologies, ruling methods, events, conflicts, and much more
To be clear, Frostpunk on PC has already received these three DLC expansions with The Rifts, The Last Autumn, and On the Edge all releasing over the course of a few months, filled with reasons for players to keep revisiting this frozen world.
Now, it's been confirmed that all three of these expansions are being ported over to Frostpunk: Console Edition later this year (Q3 or Fall 2021), and will be available either by themselves, through the Frostpunk: Console Edition Season Pass, or included in a Frostpunk: Complete Console Edition.
Frostpunk: Console Edition is already available on Xbox Series X, Xbox Series S, Xbox One, PS5, and PS4. It's also available through Xbox Game Pass, making it easy to play the excellent base game on Xbox consoles and PC. If Frostpunk: Console Edition's upcoming DLC expansions deliver, the game could be elevated to our list of the best Xbox games.
Gearing up with new expansions.
Frostpunk: Console Edition is already a fantastic survival strategy game for consoles, but it's about to become even better with the addition of the three new expansions coming over from PC. The Rifts, On the Edge, and The Last Autumn are heading to Frostpunk: Console Edition in Fall 2021.
A catalog of games
All your gaming needs, in one subscription.
Is the Xbox Game Pass Ultimate the best value in all of gaming? It's possible. Ultimate bundles your Xbox Live Gold subscription, an Xbox Game Pass subscription for both Xbox consoles and Windows PCs, and Xbox Cloud Gaming for on-the-go. The base version of Frostpunk: Console Edition is already included in Xbox Game Pass, so you can start playing today.
Get the Windows Central Newsletter
All the latest news, reviews, and guides for Windows and Xbox diehards.
Zachary Boddy (They / Them) is a Staff Writer for Windows Central, primarily focused on covering the latest news in tech and gaming, the best Xbox and PC games, and the most interesting Windows and Xbox hardware. They have been gaming and writing for most of their life starting with the original Xbox, and started out as a freelancer for Windows Central and its sister sites in 2019. Now a full-fledged Staff Writer, Zachary has expanded from only writing about all things Minecraft to covering practically everything on which Windows Central is an expert, especially when it comes to Microsoft. You can find Zachary on Twitter @BoddyZachary.